Sr. Staff Software Engineer, Security
Our Security team supports the unwritten fourth tenet of Slack’s mission: make people’s working lives more secure. We’re serious about protecting our infrastructure, operations, and most importantly, our customers’ data. We take a systemic approach to security and strive to ensure that we provide low friction high-impact security across everything we do. We’re looking for a senior developer to help lead our Security Engineering team. Significant in-field experience is a hard requirement but an interest in software development outweighs all.
We’d like you to have the vision to identify areas where we can fundamentally make Slack more secure, then propose, build and operate tools to see that to fruition. The role includes noteworthy autonomy towards defining problem spaces and a mandate to build viable tools that are both internally and externally facing. While we don’t ascribe to the “architect” title, this role is to step into an existing team, learn what we do, and to be a technical lead, working closely with our team. This is the team which wrote Nebula and go-audit; we look forward to what we can build with your ideas.
A significant part of this job is meant to attract a multidisciplinary engineer; you probably feel skeptical of any job posting with the word “DevOps” in it, but that (or even SecDevOps) is your day to day. We would ask for your help in evaluating tooling pragmatically—particularly when the right time is to spend some money or when months of development would be advantageous. Critically weighing the tradeoffs of using an AWS higher level service versus writing our own is a base expectation.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Develop novel software that helps Slack be more secure
- Describe the roadmap for your teammates who can extend this vision _with_ you
- Creatively scale and operate the infrastructure and tools that handle millions of events per second, as well as participate in an on-call rotation to support these tools
- Evolve the tools that we have written and help us think about the next step
- Watch and address active potential threats with the team (actually _do_ this)
- Identify and develop new features and a roadmap to augment existing tools to protect Slack’s production infrastructure and to help make our business lives simpler, more pleasant, more productive (and more secure)
What you should have
- Curiosity and creativity. We hope for individuals to join the team who very much want to know why something happened in addition to just that it happened. We have a lot of ideas, but are hopeful that your perspective will push us all forward together to deeper understanding.
- Proficiency both in a practical systems programming language and the shell of your choice. We write Go and shell, but are interested to see where you shine.
- This is a role afforded the latitude to define workstreams, and entrusted to approach engineering problems as an art form. You want to empower your coworkers with the easy maintainability of code you’ve collaborated on, and you take pride in the craftsmanship of your efforts.
- Motivation to solve problems, not to patch over quick fixes. This is at the root of our goal to be on-call for our own services. Being on-call shouldn’t be a burden to team members. If it ever is, fixing it is our highest priority.
- Broad exposure to various security disciplines and deeper understanding of models and principles behind core security concepts such as MFA and securely managing secrets or tokens.
- Golang—we’ve written wide-reaching tools in Golang, but we aren’t wedded to it.
- Ansible—it’s not that bad, and helps us move quickly, but any configuration management tool is applicable.
- Elasticsearch / Kibana—you can readily access information and love metrics.
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have eight offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, and Toronto.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.