Engineering Manager, Release Engineering
About the Team
Slack is looking for an engineering manager for the Release Engineering team. They will be responsible for the deployment and release systems to deliver Slack's web application to our customers. The team is currently responsible for the building and maintenance of the systems that empower 200+ engineers to safely and expertly ship Slack several times per day.
Tactically, you will help lead and grow the team that will design and implement the systems for web application deployment, source control branching strategies and managing configuration and feature flags. We believe in tight feedback loops and strive for continuous integration and deployment to build software which allow our engineers to release code often and reliably.
As part of the team, you will partner with the Internal Tools team to help our engineers build, test and release high-quality code safely.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
About the Role
This is a management position based in San Francisco
What you will be doing
- Delivering systems that allow our web engineers to deploy Slack safely, quickly and reliably
- Owning key metrics around deploy frequency, throughput and failure rates
- Building a team that appreciates build systems which are reliable and easy to operate
- Partnering with engineering teams and stakeholders (from release managers to executives) to understand and deliver on their deployment needs
- Aligning the team on key outcomes and measures
- Model and provide frequent and effective feedback between team members
- Developing communication programs that promotes the team to the rest of the organization and support daily prioritization and decision-making for the team
- Implementing a humane on-call rotation to support these highly-available systems
What you should have
- You are passionate about management, mentoring, and crafting opportunities to support your reports’ success
- You are able to weigh several and often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a dynamic and quickly-growing company
- You are highly organized. With many people doing many things in a fast-paced company, strong organizational skills—both for yourself and for the team—will be required
- You are not expected to deliver code, but you should possess enough technical experience in CI/CD, source control, release strategies and running highly-available systems
- You have several years experience serving in an engineering management role
- You possess extraordinary written and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.