Sr. Engineering Manager, Cloud Engineering
About the Team
Slack is looking for an engineering leader for our Cloud Engineering team in San Francisco. The team is responsible for creating the software that defines and manages Slack’s network of thousands of computers in data centers all over the globe. The scale and complexity of Slack’s network is a unique opportunity. Combined with the explosive rate of growth we expect this to be one of the world’s best cloud engineering teams, tackling tough problems on a global scale. The Cloud Engineering team headquarters at Slack is in Melbourne, Australia, but we have expanded the Cloud team at Slack’s HQ in SF with the addition of our Traffic and Cloud Economics teams. You will be close partners with the Functional Lead in Melbourne and manage the Cloud teams in SF.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture — we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
About the Role
Your responsibilities include:
- Managing the overall Slack cloud budget for all data centers globally
- Support the Platform (Kubernetes), Traffic and Cloud Economics teams with servant leadership and strategy development
- Recruit and retain the technical talent required to solve our toughest design and support problems
- Foster a work culture that encourages individual decision-making and innovation
- Support frequent and effective feedback between team members
- Develop communication programs that connect the team to the rest of the organization and support daily prioritization and decision-making for the team
- Represent Slack engineering and management in industry events
You might be a good fit if:
- You have direct experience managing your company’s infrastructure with a public cloud provider.
- You are passionate about management, coaching, and creating opportunities to support your directs’ success.
- Your leadership style makes space for multiple senior engineers and supports the growth of everyone on your team to keep pace with rapid change
- You are able to weigh several and often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a dynamic and quickly-growing company.
- You are highly organized. With many people doing many things in a fast-paced company, strong organizational skills—both for yourself and for the team—will be required.
- You are not expected to deliver code, but you should possess enough technical experience in Cloud automation and tooling to recognize the important decisions your team faces and give meaningful advice.
- You have several years experience serving in an engineering management role.
- You possess extraordinary written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- Large scale AWS budget management experience
- Previous experience with regulatory compliance in a cloud environment
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.