Engineering Manager, Infrastructure
We are rapidly scaling our Infrastructure and are solving interesting engineering challenges as we operate one of the world’s largest commercial Vitess installations, and build scalable edge services that product developers can easily leverage as part of their feature development. If you are passionate about building and operating highly reliable and performant distributed systems that form an essential component of the infrastructure which powers Slack, read on.
Infrastructure at Slack
We operate at tremendous scale with systems that process millions of events per second. Our team builds and maintains the scalable services deployed at the edge which enable highly responsive real-time messaging, type-ahead queries and file uploads/downloads.
We know we’ve done our job correctly when none of our users think about us. We don’t typically ship new user-facing features, but rather ensure our systems are incredibly performant, highly available, reliable, and scalable. In other words, Slack just works seamlessly.
We are a small team making a large impact. We rapidly iterate and work closely with other engineering teams to ensure new product features function at scale. We have a strong commitment to quality and understand that simplicity and reliability should be primary aspects of the systems that we build. We are ambitious, independent, and pragmatic.
A taste of our scale and reach:
- Users spend over 10 hours connected and 2+ hours active in Slack every work day.
- 10M+ Daily Active Users in more than 150 countries.
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States.
- Every day we see over 10 million simultaneously connected users, over 3.5 billion web requests, over 42 billion database queries per day, and our systems see over 1 million queries/second in our caching tier.
- We've launched initiatives like Flannel, Scaling Job Queue, Reducing Slack’s memory footprint, International Data Residency as well as scaling the Vitess data tier.
What you will be doing
- Defining, evolving and communicating the team’s vision, mission and strategy across Slack.
- Collaborating with Product and technical leaders to build a roadmap for your team and growing the team to execute on that roadmap.
- Cultivating a culture of excellence on the team through a focus on execution, quality and scale.
- Executing on teams deliverables in a timely and efficient manner.
- Implement effective engineering processes and policies.
- Set and fulfill the engineering hiring plan for the team, including sourcing, screening, and interviewing.
- Represent Slack engineering and management in industry events.
What you should have
- You have 3+ years of Engineering Management experience in building, managing and leading highly productive teams.
- You have substantial experience with distributed systems and competency in several topics fundamental to computer science: algorithms, data structures, databases, distributed systems, operating systems, and programming languages.
- You excel at building roadmaps and can develop a long-term team vision in partnership with other stakeholders.
- You possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- You are highly organized. With many people doing many things in a fast-moving company, strong organizational skills—both for yourself and for the team—will be required.
- You are able to weigh several and often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a fast-moving and quickly-growing company.
- You have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.