Engineering Manager - Demand Engineering
Lead the team building Slack's internal and external load balancing infrastructure.
Slack enables people all over the world to communicate and collaborate together. Teams of all sizes — from the world’s largest public companies to the smallest of startups — use Slack to get work done, so we take performance and reliability very seriously. A taste of our scale:
- The average user spends over 10 hours connected and 2.5 hours active in Slack every single day
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States
- Every day we see over 12M+ daily active users, over a billion web requests, and 10s of billions of database queries.
For millions of people, Slack is the primary communication tool they use at work, and now at home, all day long. They expect it to be exceptionally reliable and fast, all the time.
What you will be doing
We are looking for an engineering manager in Dublin to lead the Demand Engineering team in our Cloud Infrastructure pillar. We are responsible for internal and external load balancing at Slack. We organise ourselves around two key streams of work; traffic and Service networking.
The team needs an engineering manager who can guide a cohesive, highly productive team through effective engineering processes and policies. You will set and fulfill the engineering hiring plan for the team, including sourcing, screening, and interviewing. You should understand the technical decisions made by your team and be able to articulate them to varied audiences. You will partner closely with Demand Engineering in San Francisco.
You will also partner with Cloud Platform and Core Infrastructure engineers, Product Managers and SREs. You will be required to gather requirements, prioritize decisions and ensure timely execution. You focus on creating alignment and giving your team autonomy in order to execute rapidly. You understand the value of career development and can help propel the team forward by facilitating psychologically safe discussions around: project progress, process improvements, mentorship, and general satisfaction.
We operate at a large scale with systems that process millions of events per second. We maintain and build the lowest levels of our asynchronous background job processing system.
We have a strong commitment to quality and understand that simplicity and reliability should be primary aspects of the systems that we build. We are a diverse and inclusive team that treats our colleagues exceptionally well.
What you should have
- Have 2+ years of Engineering Management experience building productive, high functioning teams. You can describe why these teams were high functioning and what you specifically did to ensure engineers felt productive.
- Are a very strong verbal and nonverbal communicator. You’re adept at explaining complex technical concepts and share your knowledge with diverse audiences.
- Have mastered the art of requirements-gathering and keeping the team focused on the most important initiatives.
- Can contemplate several—often conflicting—constraints and make rapid decisions.
- Can anticipate future technical needs for the product and craft plans to realize them.
- Excel at building roadmaps and can develop a long-term team vision in partnership with other stakeholders. You can then be accountable for driving project execution.
- Love helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
- Have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Please include with your application:
- Why you’re excited about leading this team
- How you approach engineering management
- A brief description of the team you’re most proud of managing, and your role in helping it succeed
We look forward to working with you!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Slack. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request the accommodation.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.