Sr. Windows Engineer, Client Platform, Business Technology
Slack is looking for Windows Engineers to design and build solutions focused on delivering a first-in-class endpoint experience for our employees. The Business Technology Client Platform Engineering team builds, runs, and supports the global endpoint fleet at Slack. Utilizing modern DevOps practices, you will work as the primary Windows specialist on the team, focused on creating infrastructure to make Slack employees have a simple, pleasant, and productive experience at work.
You are a hardworking self-starter with an ability to navigate a constantly evolving landscape. You enjoy and excel at crafting innovative and scalable infrastructure as well as collaborating across functions. Technical expertise and a real passion for innovation are crucial, but you’ll balance that with a desire to improve the user experience for the products and services we deliver to the Slack community.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and encouraging culture—we look for people who are curious, creative, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we seek to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative!
As a Senior Windows Engineer you will:
- Administer and scale our global fleet of employee devices, with a particular emphasis of using Chef on Windows endpoints.
- Provide on-call support, critical issue remediation, and incident response for core services.
- Write scripts, automation logic, and tests to handle endpoint configuration, application distribution, and related infrastructure.
- Help modernize our Windows environment to AutoPilot, Azure AD, and modern device trust and identity verification best practices.
- Spec, deploy, and maintain internal tooling such as centralized logging, monitoring/alerting, and configuration management.
- Familiarity with running Windows VDI infrastructure via cloud providors.
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Have demonstrated ability working with configuration management software (Chef, Puppet, Ansible, etc) and MDM platforms (Intune, Airwatch, or others)
- Have strong familiarity with Terraform, Chocolatey, Powershell, and other management tooling.
- Comfort and inclination on using distributed version control (git), semantic versioning, and change management procedures such as Github flow.
- Have experience with administering, deploying, and resolving issues with Windows and related software.
- Focus on code-first solutions, and have extensive background in writing idempotent scripts to manage Windows devices.
- Know the importance of documentation and have a track record of writing clear and concise specifications and runbooks.
- Knowledge of Ruby, Python, or Go.
- Experience administering Windows endpoints using open source tools.
- Experience administering Windows Server.
- Experience running cloud-based VDI Solutions.
- Experience administering Mac endpoints and MDM solutions.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.