Sr. Manager, IT
As the Senior Manager of Senior Manager, IT at Slack, you will lead a team of software engineers, data engineers and cloud infrastructure engineers, primarily in our Pune, India office, as well as being responsible for creating an exceptional technology experience with the tools that we use to support our users. You will deliver a quality, customer-focused experience for all of the products and services we deliver to Slack employees. The ideal person has a vision for IT in a SaaS-based world, a real passion for providing simple solutions for complex business problems, and a focus on determining how technology can improve user experience and reduce friction. As the senior IT leader in our Pune office, you will also be the day-to-day site lead for our entire department, helping nurture our team dynamic and culture across multiple IT teams in that location.
In this role you will report to the Vice President of Business Technology, who is based in San Francisco. The team provides the technology that makes our employees more productive including, but not limited to, the corporate network, client platform, identity services, SaaS application management, Data and Analytics and integrations with Slack and other tools. You are a high-energy, self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and the ability to navigate a rapidly changing landscape. You enjoy and excel at team building and development, as well as collaborating across functions. Technical expertise and a real passion for innovation are crucial for this role, but you’ll balance that with a desire to improve the user experience for the products and services we deliver to the Slack community.
What you will be doing:
- Build a high performing IT team, consisting of Data Engineers, Software Engineers and Cloud Infrastructure Engineers through mentorship, training, and direct feedback.
- Develop & nurture the Pune site IT culture, across all IT teams represented there.
- Build amazing internal products and integrations to make people at Slack more productive.
- Pursue user-impacting issues with the grit and determination needed to see them through to resolution.
- Partner with other Business Technology leaders in the development of the technology strategy for our data, software and infrastructures services within IT at Slack.
- Ensure the continued development of a CI/CD pipeline for software engineering within IT.
- Use data to find trends and drive continuous improvement through collaboration with your peers in all areas of IT.
- Effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders on a regular basis regarding progress on projects, performance and potential business risks.
- Establish and handle relationships with our vendors and suppliers.
What you should have:
- 5+ years of experience in an engineering management position.
- 8+ years in software engineering roles, either in people leadership or as an individual contributor.
- 4+ years in data engineering/data warehousing roles, either in people leadership or as an individual contributor.
- Experience leading a team that engages across multiple locations globally.
- Experience working with stakeholders in traditionally non-engineering functions (Sales, Marketing, Legal, HR, Finance, etc). Experience in knowledge of Financial Systems preferred.
- Desired experience in a corporate IT or Tooling organization.
- A background in Python, Ruby, Go, or a similar high-level general purpose programming language
- Experience leading teams that combine multiple APIs and web services to create complex integrations and workflows
- Experience managing teams with an on-call rotation and acting as an incident commander during critical outages
- Proven ability to excel in a people leadership role.
- Experience in a dynamic, fast-growing environment.
- BA/BS is required.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.