Sr. Software Engineer, Android
We’re looking for people who are passionate about building the components that make up Slack’s mobile interface. As the first Android Product Engineer on Slack Kit, you’ll be responsible for building the design system that will power the entire Android user interface.
In addition to building components, you’ll be responsible for helping fellow Android engineers contribute to the overall system, serving as a technical lead on the ongoing work, aligning component APIs across the system, and working with other engineers and designers within Slack Kit to help define a shared vision for how Slack builds its product interface.
Slack on Android is used by millions of people every week - we need engineers who want to make that experience as enjoyable as possible.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you should have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, and 5+ years of work experience
- Strong organization and project management skills
- Ability to boil down fuzzy or complex initiatives into actionable tasks.
- Willingness to collaborate and enjoy serving within a larger community of engineers and product designers.
- Extensive understanding of Android framework components and their respective lifecycles
- Experience with complex API and library design and implementation, with an emphasis on modularity
- Current and detailed knowledge of the capabilities of different Android API levels
- A disciplined approach to development, testing, documentation and code structure in a highly collaborative team environment
- A familiarity with the Android tool ecosystem for development, testing, debugging, and performance benchmarking
- At least four years of engineering experience, a large portion of which in a team environment
- A constant desire to improve, learn more, and take things higher
- Experience using Slack and a keen interest in making it better
- Experience developing on top of Material
- Experience with Google’s Material design system. You have opinions on what works and doesn’t work.
- Experience with turning complex product specs into features
- A passion for building and maintaining great open source projects or otherwise contributing to the Android community
- Experience with web development, distributed systems and parallel processing
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.