About the Team
The Cloud Platform team enables Slack's engineers to build and run services in the cloud in a safe, simple, and reliable manner. Slack’s infrastructure is always evolving to support our fast-growing business.
We are a team of systems and software engineers based in Melbourne and San Francisco. We provide a compute platform for our engineers to deploy containers in Slack's ecosystem of Kubernetes, Consul, Envoy and Nebula. We develop tools and services that make it easier for product teams to operate their services. We manage our worldwide AWS cloud ecosystem and drive the adoption of new cloud technologies at Slack.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture — we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
About the Role
What you will be doing
- Working on impactful projects within a small, agile team to advance our platform. This may involve developing infrastructure as code for our cloud environments including tools and services development
- Designing and developing new highly-available infrastructure components to meet the needs of our growing and evolving product
- Participating in an on-call rotation for the services our team owns, triaging and addressing production issues
- Engaging with Slack’s engineering community to identify potential areas of improvement and pain points as well as driving adoption of our team’s solutions
What you should have
- Curiosity about how things work and love to share that knowledge with others
- Been developing and operating infrastructure professionally
- Ability to build tooling, automation and/or services in one or multiple languages
- Familiarity with software engineering practice: unit tests, code review, design documentation
You probably tick some of these boxes:
- At least 3 years of professional experience in software or systems engineering, working in a team environment
- Some experience operating cloud services
- Moderate experience deploying, operating and debugging server software on Linux
- Familiar with deployment automation/configuration management -- e.g, Chef, Terraform, Ansible, CloudFormation or others
- Know your way around with one or more programming languages -- e.g., Python, Go, Ruby, or others
- Prior experience with or knowledge of large scale, high volume systems
- Experience with AWS
- Experience with Docker containers and Kubernetes
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.