Category Manager - Business Technology & Engineering
Reporting to the Manager of Strategic Sourcing, you will play an integral part of elevating the role of Strategic Sourcing at Slack by enabling stakeholder success, supplier innovation and driving savings for your assigned categories. In addition to owning the end to end contract management process, you will be part of a team focused on driving cost efficiencies, negotiating contracts that maximize value and minimize risk, and managing overall supplier performance.
Slack has a positive, supportive and diverse culture – we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together, we strive to be smart, humble, hardworking and above all, collaborative.
- Strategic sourcing expertise in one or more of the following categories: Business Technology; Engineering; or Cloud Infrastructure
- Strong history of delivering creative solutions, compelling cost savings and improving supplier performance in technical spend categories such as Application Services, SaaS, Professional Services, Infrastructure, etc.
- Experience negotiating complex, enterprise level terms for the above categories
- Knowledge of sourcing trends and best practices, supplier performance models, licensing models, IT application lifecycle management, and emerging technologies
- Proven track record of driving strategy and bottom line results for the above categories
- Develop and Execute Strategic Sourcing Plans
- Lead the development and execution of category strategies that deliver a competitive advantage to the business
- Analyze industry trends to proactively identify issues and to develop contingency plans
- Leverage supplier scorecards to monitor and manage supplier performance
- Partner with key stakeholders to facilitate business reviews with key suppliers
- Drive Negotiation Excellence and Results
- Align with internal stakeholders to drive the right solutions at the right price
- Consistently deliver win-win outcomes with internal and external partners in complex negotiations
- Lead all aspects of the sourcing process from end to end including the redlining and negotiation of contracts in a fast paced environment
- Balance speed, quality, and risk with cost savings goals
- Minimum of 5 years’ of strategic sourcing experience including 3+ years of technology and/or engineering sourcing experience
- Must have knowledge of strategic sourcing best practices and trends
- Strong negotiation and communication skills – self starter and change agent capable of influencing strategy and decisions
- Demonstrated experience forging relationships with executives, stakeholders, & suppliers
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills – ability to lead various financial analysis such as cost modeling, total cost of ownership, build vs. buy
- Strong understanding of legal and category specific terms and requirements; ability to transform business needs into contract terms and ensure supplier compliance
- Ability to actively contribute to technical discussions; general knowledge of the business technology landscape, trends and suppliers
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, computer science, engineering, supply chain, or related discipline preferred
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.