Sr. Demo Engineer, Backend
We’re looking for an experienced Backend Demo Engineer to join our fast-growing Demo Engineering organization.
Demo Engineering is a product development team that empowers our company to articulate Slack’s vision and product value to our largest prospects, customers, and conference attendees. We build internal tools that enable various teams at Slack to create transformative product demos, quickly and easily. Simply put, we make the experience of creating Slack demos simpler, more pleasant, and more productive.
We build our products using reliable tools that our team knows and trusts, including Java, PHP/Hack, and MySQL. Expertise in these areas is a huge plus, but having familiarity with other common web languages (such as Python or Ruby) and other relational databases are fine substitutes.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing:
- You'll brainstorm with the Manager of Demo Engineering and fellow Demo Engineers to conceptualize and build new features for our growing internal user base
- You’ll increase sales success by improving demo quality and our ability to innovate
- You’ll actively own team features or systems and define their long-term health
- You’ll collaborate with fellow Demo Engineers to spec, write, test, and deploy code
- You’ll review code, have your code reviewed, and assist in triaging bugs
- You’ll work cross-functionally to solve challenges and ensure that upcoming Slack features are demo-ready
- You’ll improve our standards, tooling, and processes
What you should have:
If you don’t meet 100% of these requirements, don't worry. Your desire to learn and your ability to work in a diverse, collaborative environment is just as important to us.
- Experience building web applications professionally for 3+ years
- Experience with functional or imperative programming languages -- e.g. Java, PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, or C
- You can lead technical architecture discussions and help drive technical decisions within your team
- Experience writing understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval
- A love for building new products and problem-solving
- You are a strong communicator; explaining complex technical concepts to others is no problem for you
- Self-awareness, a collaborative approach, and empathy
- You have a bachelor’s degree or related field, equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
Bonus points if you have:
- Knowledge of Slack API’s
- Experience with MySQL
- Experience with RabbitMQ
- Experience with AWS’ product suite (EC2, Elastic Beanstalk, S3, Route 53)
- Prior DevOps experience
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.