Senior Commercial Counsel
Slack is looking for an exceptionally talented and pleasant attorney to join our legal team. This position will be responsible for various legal-related matters involved in selling our products, partnering with others to make Slack better and used by more teams, and ensuring our own people have the best information and tools when doing their jobs.
You’ll work closely with our Accounts, Marketing, Business Operations, and Go-To-Market teams, leading legal negotiations and giving advice at all levels of the organization. This is a special opportunity for the right candidate. We’re just getting started! And we’re nice.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements to support customer sales, our purchase of software and services from vendors, and growth-driven partnerships with both startups and public companies. Your primary focus will be on SaaS subscription agreements, software licenses, data processing agreements, and NDAs. Use your experience gained from supporting hundreds or thousands of commercial transactions to help define business terms and structure deals in the most optimal way.
- You’ll provide input on processes and policies to help drive our growth and capture new learnings. Then, iterate again.
- Provide practical, decisive guidance to Accounts, Marketing, Business Operations, and Business Development teams that balances business objectives and legal risk, taking into account companies policies and positions.
- Stay up-to-date on relevant industry, commercial, open source, IP, privacy, employment, and other laws, regulations, and developments to be able to give the most effective advice.
- Provide input on contracts management system and contract processes to optimize interactions with our Accounts team.
- 7+ years experience working with regulated industries (e.g. financial services, healthcare, etc.) on different kinds of commercial transactions (e.g., strategic alliance, SaaS, IP licensing, software licensing, product resale and distribution, working with contractors, outsourcing, facilities, etc.) matched with deep experience on the types of transactions you’ll see most often (see above).
- Comfortable negotiating data processing agreements, including a working knowledge of GDPR as it relates to commercial contracts
- Ability to draft documents, policies, emails and anything else in a very precise manner, while still being concise and digestible for non-lawyers. It’s a cliché, but attention to detail really is a must.
- A confident, effective and positive negotiator who can lead the process, focus on important issues, and efficiently bring deals to a favorable close.
- Flexibility to adapt and thrive in an environment that is constantly expanding and changing as we grow our business, learn more about our customers, and figure out what works best and what doesn’t.
- High integrity and excellent judgment, supported by a point of view that is thought out and communicated well.
- Entrepreneurial mindset that enables you to successfully work independently with little guidance, but also to use good judgment and escalate issues when needed.
- Substantial understanding of intellectual property, licensing, privacy, data security and commercial laws or willingness to learn. Ability to develop a nuanced understanding of Slack and our industry, with an eye towards aligning decisions with the bigger picture goals.
- Ability to work cross-functionality with different departments to reach consensus on whether to accept non-standard contract terms. Ability to contribute to and iterate on contract playbook of fallback terms.
- JD required. Bar admission and in good standing in at least one state.
- Eager to chip in wherever and whenever help is needed. Good at building authentic relationships with all kinds of people across many functional teams. Oh, and you should like being a lawyer!
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.