Staff Product Designer
Staff Designers play a vital role at Slack. They are leaders within their teams, helping to define product direction and setting - and holding - the bar for design excellence. They carry features from vision through to execution and launch, all the while prototyping and honing the design to ensure it works for Slack’s diverse user base. They also define Slack’s design culture by sharing their experience and skills with the team and by mentoring those around them. And lastly they are seen as leaders in their own right - helping to set the tone for work at Slack by being humble, smart, and highly collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, send us a nice hello, and links to your work and experience.
What you will be doing
- Work cross-functionally with Product and Engineering partners to represent the design team, facilitate design discussions, and ensure superlative design quality.
- Collaborate closely with Product and Engineering leadership to define your features and contribute to the overall direction of your product area.
- Design flows, prototypes, sketches, and high-fidelity UI for your features.
- Work extremely closely with Engineering to ensure a high-quality implementation and user experience. You will often sit side by side with engineering to create prototypes and iterate on a daily, if not hourly, basis.
- Solicit feedback from your peers, including other product designers and teammates in your product team.
- Work in close collaboration with Design leadership to inform and improve design processes.
- Interview new Product Designers and actively inform our inclusive design hiring process.
- Lead by example - do great work and help people on the team learn how you do it.
What you should have
- At least 5 years’ experience* in an individual contributor role, on a Product Design team for desktop or mobile.
- An outstanding portfolio, showcasing a foundation in typography, interaction and visual design, and ideation.
- Experience in working and collaborating with diverse teams in a dynamic, rapid growth environment.
- Experience partnering with product managers to develop the strategy and rationale for features.
- Experience with prototyping as a means to explore and convey design solutions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Through trial and error we've learned that people don't apply unless we provide a guideline. But what’s more important to us than a number are the experiences you’ve had, and the skills you’ve developed, regardless of the length of time it took you to get where you are. Have 10+ years? Awesome, please apply. Have only 3 years, but feel you meet the requirements above? Great, please apply.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.