Staff Software Engineer, Frontend
A taste of our scale and reach:
- Users spend over 10 hours connected and 2+ hours active in Slack every work day
- 10M+ Daily Active Users in more than 150 countries
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States
- Every day we see over 3.5 million simultaneously connected users, over 3.5 billion web requests, over 42 billion database queries per day, and our systems see over 1 million queries/second in our caching tier
- We have 8.8M+ app installations with 155,000 weekly active developers building on the platform
- 90% of our paid teams on Slack actively use apps
- This is a full time Staff engineering position based in San Francisco, California
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing:
- You’ll own technical strategy for broad or complex requirements with insightful and forward-looking approaches that go beyond the direct team and solve large open-ended problems
- You’ll lead technical design with expertise, guiding and enabling the best technical decisions to be made across the team
- You’ll drive strategic development of methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for projects and programs
- You’ll lead a broad functional area and direct efforts through team leads along with team’s overall planning
- You’ll mentor other engineers and deeply review code that empowers a team to do its best work
- You’ll collaborate with backend and quality engineers to spec, write, test, and deploy code that integrates with real-time data streams and API endpoints
- You’ll brainstorm features with product managers and designers and guide decisions based on your knowledge of the codebase
- You’ll learn about, use, and teach new web technologies
What you should have:
- You have 3+ years experience with React and Redux, Lodash, and/or CSS preprocessors like LESS or SASS
- You can lead technical architecture discussions and help drive technical decisions within your team
- You have expertise in building complex layouts with CSS and HTML
- You have experience building and debugging complex systems in a multi-team environment
- You have experience with modern browser technologies and knowledge of a templating system
- You have strong UX and design sensibilities, and a desire to sweat the small stuff
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you
- You have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- Experience with WebSockets, Local Storage, or ES6
- Experience working on consumer facing products
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
For Colorado-based roles: Minimum annual salary of $158,000. This base pay is for illustrative purposes only. This position is eligible for additional compensation and benefits including: incentive compensation; health benefits; flexible spending account; retirement benefits; life insurance; commuter benefits; paid time off (including PTO, emergency time off, paid sick leave, medical leave, volunteer time off, civic duty leave, bereavement leave, floating holidays and paid holidays); parental leave and benefits; mobile phone and internet allowance; perks stipend; and other employee perks and benefits.
The actual offer, reflecting the total compensation package and benefits, will be at the company’s sole discretion, and determined by a myriad of factors including, but not limited to, years of experience, depth of experience, and other relevant business considerations. The company also reserves the right to amend or modify employee perks and benefits at any time.
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at Salesforce and explore our benefits.
Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.com or Salesforce.org.
Salesforce welcomes all.