Engineering Manager, Cloud Infrastructure
About the Team
The Cloud Infrastructure Engineering team is composed of Cloud Engineers, Engineering Managers, Technical Program Managers and Project Managers, working to make Slack more performant, available & cost-efficient each day. We’re driving innovations through self service tooling and ensuring that Slack is performant and available to each and every one of our millions of daily active users. We take on unique scaling problems for a global customer base and write software to automate and manage our cloud footprint. We advise teams within Slack on how to maximize their value from the cloud and ultimately aim to build a culture of service ownership where engineering teams can self manager their infrastructure. We get excited about Cloud technology and working on fascinating scaling challenges very few in the industry have experienced.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
About the Role
What you will be doing
We are looking for an engineering manager to lead the Cloud Infrastructure team in our Core Infrastructure pillar. We provide the foundational Cloud infrastructure that every team at Slack relies on to maintain their services.
We need someone who can guide a cohesive, highly productive team through effective engineering processes and policies. You will set and fulfill the engineering hiring plan for the team, including sourcing, screening, and interviewing. You should understand the technical decisions made by your team and be able to articulate them to varied audiences. You will partner with Infrastructure Engineers, TPMs, Internal Tooling Engineers, and Product Managers, and will be required to gather requirements, prioritize decisions and ensure timely execution. You focus on creating alignment and giving your team the necessary autonomy for them to execute rapidly. You understand the value of career development and can help propel the team forward by facilitating psychologically safe discussions around project progress, process improvements, mentorship, and general satisfaction.
We operate at tremendous scale with systems that process millions of events per second. We maintain and build the underlying Cloud systems that power all of Slack..
We have a strong commitment to quality and understand that simplicity, security and reliability should be primary aspects of the systems that we build. We are a diverse and inclusive team that treats our colleagues exceptionally well.
What you should have:
- You have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- You have 2+ years of Engineering Management experience building productive, high-functioning teams. You can describe why these teams were high-functioning and what you specifically did to ensure engineers felt productive.
- You are a very strong verbal and nonverbal communicator. You are adept at explaining complex technical concepts and share your knowledge with diverse audiences.
- You have mastered the art of requirements-gathering and keeping the team focused on the most important initiatives.
- You can contemplate several—often conflicting—constraints and make rapid decisions.
- You can anticipate future technical needs for the product and craft plans to realize them.
- You excel at building roadmaps and can develop a long-term team vision in partnership with other stakeholders. You can then be accountable for driving project execution.
- You love helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
- You have a curiosity about how cloud systems work and have hands on experience having worked with AWS
- AWS professional certification(s)
- Prior experience with or knowledge of large scale, high volume systems
- Prior experience reducing cloud costs at scale
Please include with your application:
- Why you’re excited about leading this team
- How you approach engineering management
- A brief description of the team you’re most proud of managing, and your role in helping it succeed
We look forward to working with you!
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at Salesforce and explore our benefits.
Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.com or Salesforce.org.
Salesforce welcomes all.