Sr. Developer Advocate
We’re looking for a Senior Developer Advocate to work with Slack’s developer community. Slack is where people can work with not only their colleagues, but also the other tools that are a part of their daily work. Slack’s apps and extensibility are a key part of what makes it so essential. By working with developers to bring even more touch points from our users’ everyday tools into Slack, you’ll be making Slack more useful and delightful for our customers.
Developer Advocates at Slack work directly with our community of developers as they build on our platform, defining use cases, guiding enterprise-grade technical design, and advising on best practices with our APIs. You’ll collaborate closely with the other product and engineering teams to advocate for the community internally, set roadmaps and define and launch new features.
Developer Advocacy requires people with technical backgrounds who can also communicate and empathize with developers who are building on the Slack Platform. This role would appeal to you if you love coding and thinking through advanced scenarios, just as much as communicating with a variety of partners, both technical and non-technical. You enjoy helping people solve problems, writing code samples, and communicating to a broad audience.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not talk to us?
What you will be doing
- Connecting with developers, both to share knowledge about Slack’s Platform features, and to gather feedback from the community about the platform and the resources available to them.
- Be a specialist on Slack’s platform capabilities and app design patterns
- Support our community by crafting blog posts, delivering talks, building code samples, documentation, developer tools, and contributing to our team’s way of working
- Collaborate with Slack product, engineering, and other cross-functional teams to build new features, improve the platform, and grow the partner ecosystem
What you should have
- 3+ years of developer relations, developer advocacy, developer evangelism, or software engineering experience
- Excellent communication skills; you can explain a sophisticated technical issue in such a way that most people could understand & translate the words behind the words in meetings with customers and partners
- Familiarity with languages such as Node.js, TypeScript, Python, or Java
- Solid understanding of API design principles
- You don't need to have experience building with Slack Platform, but it's definitely a plus
- Experience operating within cross-functional teams (sales, product, engineering, design, marketing)
- Passionate about improving the way people around the world work and communicate
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.