Technical Portfolio Manager, BizTech Engineering
As IT Portfolio Manager in BizTech, Strategy & Planning at Slack, you will work to help plan and deliver against our strategy and our overall vision to create exceptional technology experiences for our users. You will be responsible for working with the leadership team to form a clear plan to achieve our goals, driving that plan forward with urgency, and helping improve our overall project management and resource allocation processes.In partnership with the BizTech Leader of Strategy & Planning, and looking across all of the programs and projects the team is working on, you will implement and develop the frameworks and processes needed to run the organization. You will need to have a passion for embracing the fast-paced culture of a smaller company while also putting the right guardrails in place to allow the team to deliver.
What you'll be doing:
- Work with team to develop our long-term strategic goals and defining our path to accomplishing them.
- Coordinate across a group of cross-functional partners & resources across the company on our major initiatives.
- Work closely with those cross-functional internal teams to build out plans for high visibility programs and projects by identifying requirements and dependencies and building work back schedules to manage to deadlines.
- Look for connections to other projects and recommend opportunities for optimization and integration points.
- Guide the team in the development of processes, bringing to bear frameworks like Scrum/Kanban, that will enable them to better prioritize incoming work, estimate effort, track progress and perform resource planning.
- Understand and communicate dependencies and status to program partners clearly and effectively.
- Dedicatedly work to remove obstacles and enable forward momentum and progress. Manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing priorities. Confidently lead business partners through change management.
- Establish timelines, RACIs, project plans and trackers, and communication artifacts. Ensure that the team and stakeholders are all operating from the most recent and accurate information. Facilitate retrospectives with cross-functional teams with the aim of continuous improvement.
What you should have:
- 6+ years experience as a Program/Project Manager in an IT or software engineering role.
- 4+ years experience working within an Agile environment and implementing common frameworks like Scrum and Kanban.
- 2+ years as a Portfolio Manager in an IT or software engineering team.
- Hands-on experience leading an initiative from start to finish.
- A history of achieving goals while managing scope, time, quality and risk. An openness to recognizing all learnings from failures as well as successes.
- Ability to build strong and effective relationships with business partners by understanding their needs and goals as well as what motivates and engages them.
- A general fearlessness regarding the unknown, keen ability to focus and function effectively through ambiguity.
- Experience working with program management tools such as Smartsheet, JIRA, Trello, Asana, Microsoft Project, etc.
- Experience in a dynamic, fast-growing environment.
The base pay range targeted for this role is $116,000 - $140,000 USD. This base pay range is for illustrative purposes only. This position is eligible for additional compensation and benefits including: incentive compensation; health benefits; flexible spending account; retirement benefits; life insurance; commuter benefits; paid time off (including PTO, emergency time off, paid sick leave, medical leave, volunteer time off, civic duty leave, bereavement leave, floating holidays and paid holidays); parental leave and benefits; mobile phone and internet allowance; perks stipend; and other employee perks and benefits.
The actual offer, reflecting the total compensation package and benefits, will be at the company’s sole discretion, and determined by a myriad of factors including, but not limited to, years of experience, depth of experience, and other relevant business considerations. The company also reserves the right to amend or modify employee perks and benefits at any time.
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.