Engineering Manager, Language & Runtime, Performance Infrastructure
Lead the teams developing best practices for Slack’s main language, Hack, and investing in our runtime, HHVM and working to surface performance insights at every stage of our developer lifecycle.
Slack enables people all over the world to communicate and collaborate together. Teams of all scales — from the world’s largest public companies to the smallest of startups — use Slack to get work done, so we take performance and reliability very seriously. A taste of our scale:
- The average user spends over 10 hours connected and 2.5 hours active in Slack every single day
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States
- Every day we see over 10M+ daily active users, over a billion web requests, and 10s of billions of database queries.
For millions of people, Slack is the primary communication tool they use at work all day long. They expect it to be exceptionally reliable and fast, all the time.
What you will be doing
We are looking for an engineering manager to lead the Language & Runtime and Performance Infrastructure teams in Infrastructure. Language & Runtime develops and deploys language patterns and practices in order to make developing with Hack/HHVM a more optimal experience for Slack backend engineers and focus on understanding and improving Hack/HHVM via open source contributions. These technologies underpin our main codebase and are evolving rapidly as we are the second largest users of these technologies. Performance Infrastructure is helping scale Slack on multiple axes by building new and improving existing tools for efforts like load testing, query analysis, and more.
These are smaller teams who have a huge impact. We have a strong commitment to quality and understand that we should bring simplicity and modern code principles to all the systems that we work in. We are a diverse and inclusive team that treats our colleagues exceptionally well.
The team needs an experienced engineering manager who can help two highly productive teams find the processes that will be most effective for them. You will set and fulfill the engineering hiring plans focusing on increasing technical depth in the runtime for Language & Runtime and on increasing team size for Perf Infra, including sourcing, screening, and interviewing. You will go on roadshows to other engineering teams to promote the work this team does and help build out documentation and learning resources for all backend Engineers at Slack. You will also help the teams focus their work on how to help keep Slack reliable, both teams have unique levers to pull to increase resiliency. Building a good relationship with the open source community for Hack and HHVM will also be critical as you will need to help the team stay on top of a rapidly developing language. You understand the value of career development and can help propel the team forward by facilitating psychologically safe discussions around: project progress, process improvements, mentorship, and general satisfaction.
What you should have
- You have 2+ years of engineering management experience building productive, high functioning teams. You can describe why these teams were high functioning and what you specifically did to ensure engineers felt productive.
- You are a very strong verbal and nonverbal communicator. You’re adept at explaining complex technical concepts and sharing your knowledge with diverse audiences.
- You excel at building roadmaps and can develop a long-term team vision in partnership with other stakeholders. You can then be accountable for driving project execution.
- You love helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
- You have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.