Staff Software Engineer, Backend, Developer Platform Security
The mission of Slack’s Developer Platform is to make interactions between people and software delightful. We make it easier for you to integrate the software you use every day, streamline internal workflows, and discover and integrate new software solutions. We are building the largest wall-to-wall platform for business software discovery and distribution.
A taste of our scale and reach:
- Users spend over 10 hours connected and 2+ hours active in Slack every work day
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States
- Every day we see over 3.5 million simultaneously connected users, over 3.5 billion web requests, and our systems see over 1 million queries/second in our caching tier
- We have 8.8M+ app installations with 155,000 weekly active developers building on the platform
- 90% of our paid teams on Slack actively use apps
The Platform Services team is a collection of engineers within the larger Developer Platform team at Slack that owns the quality, consistency, and security of our developer APIs. Aside from building products that directly affect the way developers use Slack’s APIs, we are focused on best practices and scaling the public Platform to enable future development. As we grow our team, we are looking for someone that can deepen our expertise in ensuring safe and secure systems.
What you should have
- You have 3+ years of professional experience building web applications.
- You have 5+ years of professional experience ensuring privacy and security of web applications.
- You have deep knowledge of internet security issues in software design and code.
- You have experience with functional or imperative programming languages -- e.g., PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java.
- You can lead technical architecture discussions and help drive technical decisions.
- You write understandable, testable, secure code with an eye towards maintainability.
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to product managers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- You have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.