Manager, Revenue Recognition
Reporting to the Senior Director of Revenue Accounting Operations, our Manager, Revenue Recognition will be part of the Revenue team that promotes consistent revenue recognition practices and ensures that Slack reports revenue in accordance with generally accepted accounting practices and internal accounting policies. As part of this team, you will be a key stakeholder in the deal desk team, which consists of other stakeholders from Sales Ops, Order Management and Legal. This team establishes standard contract structures for both existing & new products and work cross-functionally to maintain a scalable quote-to-cash process.
You will be a technical lead and help maintain the company's compliance with revenue standard (ASC 606 Revenue from Contracts with Customers) as well as any other related accounting guidance. You will also train business partners while working closely with them to ensure consistency in the application of Revenue policies and practices.
You will also lead the implementation of a few key systems. They include a contract review tool as well as Workday Revenue Management to automate the allocation of revenue to its respective performance obligations.
In addition to this, you will coach and mentor revenue analysts to support contract negotiation, contract reviews, and revenue accounting’s monthly close.
We're looking for a team player who is hands-on, process-driven, highly detail-oriented, and cares about continuous improvement. Sound interesting? Come work at Slack, we’re nice!
What you will be doing
- Author whitepaper or accounting memos to support Slacks contractual structures
- Own contract review process
- Participate in contract negotiation in collaboration with Sales, Legal and Sales Ops teams
- Identify contracts that have adverse revenue recognition impact and/or contracts that require high manual touch during order processing. Profile and work with deal desk team to keep these non-standard contracts to a minimum
- Train business partners while working closely with them to ensure consistency in application of Revenue policies and practices
- Help establish Standalone Selling Price for Slack’s product
- Ensure Revenue is accurately recorded, including appropriate revenue allocation to respective performance obligations
- Review sales and marketing material to ensure roadmap information, if any, is not disclosed in a manner that may impact revenue recognition
- Participate in monthly accounting close, revenue accounting audit and assist with revenue financial disclosures
What you should have
- Bachelor degree in Finance, Accounting or similar degree required
- CPA preferred
- At least 7 years of relevant accounting, finance or revenue recognition experience
- Advance knowledge in applying ASC 606 Revenue from Contracts with Customers
- Advanced Excel skills (vLookup, pivot tables, etc.)
- Experience with revenue automation tools (Workday, RevPro, Rev Stream, Netsuite Revenue Management, etc.) Experience in Slack platform a plus
- Experience with Workday Financials a plus
- Excel in working across various cross-functional teams
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.