Product Manager, Messaging
Slack helps teams work together - big teams, small teams, teams the world over. In service of this, the Messaging team is responsible for essential communication in Slack. Our purpose is to provide a high-quality, considerate and reliable way for every customer to communicate with their team. The Messaging team must offer an expressive and natural way for everyone to read and write in Slack. That’s where you come in.
Slack is seeking a product manager to lead key initiatives in Messaging as part of the Foundations Product Team. In this role, you’ll set product vision and oversee development for features that define how people compose and read messages in Slack. You’ll expand the capabilities of what a message is and how it’s displayed so people can express themselves fully and fluently in the many contexts of work. Fundamentally, you’ll strive to give people more control and flexibility around how they communicate in the workplace.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- You’ll own features and prototype plans end-to-end, including writing product specs, driving cross-functional execution, making thoughtful product decisions along the way, and sharing insights and results throughout the company.
- You’ll demonstrate product taste and craftsmanship and be a champion for the customer informed by research, sales and the customer experience team. You will be responsible for driving a crucial product initiative at Slack and should show the attention to detail this responsibility deserves.
- You’ll identify the highest impact work, prioritize that work, and deliver improvements in a measurable way. Along the way, you’ll partner with colleagues in product, engineering, design and customer support to create a healthy, high-achieving team.
- You’ll set a clear go-to-market strategy in partnership with product marketing.
What you should have
- Depth of experience leading business-critical product initiatives. You can take big ideas and turn them into a roadmap of features and research with minimal guidance.
- Tireless eye for detail and demonstrated obsession with building great user experiences
- Ability to think big and small to build incremental features and prototypes in service of a larger vision. You are as comfortable working in paper-prototypes as you are building out scalable features for demanding enterprise clients and know when to do which.
- Natural leadership. You know how to influence people to get things done across any job function. People love working with you.
- Written communication that is clear and effective.
- Passionate about Slack and the problem we are solving (previous enterprise software experience is not required)
- Comfortable and skilled at presenting to audiences of all sizes, from executive meetings with our CEO, to customer meetings, to company all-hands and external events
- Technically proficient: capable of wading into the details, but can also drive 30k foot view
- Bonus points if you’ve worked on consumer products before and have strong opinions on what makes for an excellent Messaging experience
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.