Sr. Data Engineer, Marketing
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will be working cross-functionally with business domain experts, analytics, and engineering teams to design and implement our Data Warehouse model. You will be working in our Business Technology Data and Analytics function and have an opportunity to build out this team from scratch with an eye of developing a sound data foundation and processes that will scale with the company’s growth. You will design, implement data pipelines enabling insights from our Product and Corporate Systems for key partners and decision makers at Slack. You would also be responsible for enhancing and maintaining our data warehouse.
This is a fun role for problem solvers, who can intuitively anticipate problems and can also look beyond immediate issues. It is for people who take initiative to improve both our software and our development infrastructure. In short, we look for people who take pride in the craft and want to be part of creating and defining the teams operating model and contribution to the company. They will be a self-starter, detail and quality oriented, and passionate about having a huge impact at Slack. If this role has your name written all over it, please contact us with a resume so that we explore further.
- Design, implement and build pipelines that deliver data with measurable quality under the SLA.
- Support and Maintain analytics tech ecosystem (data warehouse, ETL and BI tools).
- Partner with Data Engineers, Data architects, domain experts, data analysts and other teams to build foundational data sets that are trusted, well understood, aligned with business strategy and enable self-service.
- Be a champion of the overall strategy for data governance, security, privacy, quality and retention that will satisfy business policies and requirements.
- Own and document data pipelines and data lineage.
- Identify, document and promote best practices.
- BS degree in Computer Science or Engineering discipline.
- 8+ years work experience showing growth as a Senior Data Engineer.
- 2+ years of experience in working with marketing data engineering in an enterprise.
- Very strong experience in SQL, dimensional modeling, supporting data warehouse, scaling and optimizing, performance tuning and ETL pipelines.
- Deep understanding of relational as well as big data setup. Preferred: Prior experience with Snowflake, ETL tools (e.g. Informatica, Matillion, Snaplogic), Hive, Presto, Dimensional Modeling.
- Proficiency with programming languages (e.g. Python).
- Problem solver with excellent interpersonal skills with ability to make sound complex decisions in a fast-paced, technical environment.
- Ability to work on multiple areas like Data pipeline ETL, Data modeling & design, writing complex SQL queries, etc.
- Proficiency in Airflow is a big plus.
- Capable of planning and executing on both short-term and long-term goals individually and with the team.
- Passionate about various technologies including but not limited to SQL/No SQL/MPP databases, etc.
- Hands-on experience with Data Warehouse technologies (Snowflake, Redshift) and Big Data technologies (e.g Hadoop, Hive, Spark).
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, able to effectively collaborate with technical and business partners.
- Excellent understanding of trade-offs.
- Demonstrated ability to navigate between big-picture and implementation details.
Marketing, Campaign Effectiveness, Web Analytics, Customer Data, Platform or Contact Enrichment, Customer Journey, Digital Advertising, Hive, Python, SQL, Dimensional Modeling, ETL tools, SaaS Marketing Apps as Source Data, SaaS, Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.