Sr. Software Engineer, Real-time Services
Build the Real-time Services that power Slack.
Slack enables people all over the world to communicate and collaborate together. Teams of all scales — from the world’s largest public companies to the smallest of startups — use Slack to get work done, so we take performance and reliability very seriously. A taste of our scale:
- Per week, Slack users spend over a billion minutes a day active in our product.
- At peak usage, a million messages a minute passed through Slack.
- Every day we see over 15 million simultaneously connected users
For millions of people, Slack is the primary communication tool they use at work all day long. They expect it to be exceptionally reliable and fast, all the time.
The Real-time Services Team
We are a small team making a huge impact. We rapidly iterate and work closely with other teams in engineering to ensure we build resilient systems that scale. We are results-oriented, independent, and pragmatic. We build and maintain the messaging layer at Slack to ensure that all messages are routed to users as fast and as reliably as possibly.
Our services are written in Java and hosted on AWS infrastructure. We build and deploy using Jenkins, and we provision infrastructure using Chef and Terraform. We are a globally distributed team with members across North America, and we’ve been using Slack heavily to collaborate on our work even before it became THE thing to do.
We know we’ve done our jobs well when none of our users think about us. We don’t typically ship shiny, new, user-facing features, but rather ensure our systems are exceptionally performant, highly available, reliable, secure and scalable.
If you were to join the team, here the types of things you would do over the course of a typical week:
- Design, build, ship and maintain the messaging infrastructure that is at the core of Slack
- Collaborate with peers across Engineering to triage bugs and fix complex production issues across the stack, especially with respect to performance or scale.
- Whiteboard a fix to a reliability problem — and then make it happen!
- Write, review, or provide feedback on a technical design proposal
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- Well-developed skills around data structures, algorithms, programming languages, operating system, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- Have been building large scale systems professionally for 5+ years and can point to things you’ve worked on.
- Have experience building reliable and safe distributed systems and understand the trade-offs made when engineering a feature.
- Have experience with Chef, Terraform, Kubernetes, Docker, and other DevOps tooling.
- Have experience deploying and operating services in a Cloud environment.
- Can jump into situations with few guardrails and make things better.
- Write code that can be easily understood by others with an eye towards clarity and maintainability.
Realtime Services Team is a diverse and inclusive team that is building the future of Slack’s infrastructure. We are happy to help you learn what you need to know; we encourage and support each other’s growth and it’s not expected that you would have expertise across all of these areas from the beginning.
Come join us!
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.