Android Performance Engineer
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
Slack is looking for a Software Engineer with experience in high-performant Android apps that get the job done. We love engineers who believe performance is a key feature of every product we build, and don't mind digging into some stack traces to make things faster. We love performance optimization, improving maintainability, and iterating on best-practices with the rest of the Android teams. Our team is cultivating a culture of performance at Slack.
Our work depends on working closely with other teams at Slack, so communication and collaboration skills are a must. This is an opportunity to work on a small team that directly affects how Slack’s desktop web client is built.
This position is remote and reports to one of our engineering managers.
What we are looking for:
- You have experience with the Android Studio Profiler and other tools that help measure and investigate system performance to make informed decisions about how to optimize the app.
- Experience developing highly performant Java code and view layouts and the ability to diagnose performance bottlenecks
- A familiarity with the Android tool ecosystem for development, testing, debugging, and performance benchmarking
- An excellent understanding of best practices for concurrency and threading
- Someone who can find issues and improve code performance in the “under hood areas” of the app as well as in the UI / view logic.
- Diving into a new system to understand mysterious behavior excites you, and the phrase “things are slow, but only sometimes” sounds like the start of a great adventure
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability and scalability.
- You are comfortable with SQL and making sense of data.
- You are a strong communicator and are equally comfortable talking with your immediate team, other frontend engineers, or even backend infrastructure engineers.
- You are ready to learn, but just as excited to teach.
- You understand that the perfect solution is informed by the people who will be building on your work, rather than being purely dependent on technical merits. Empathy is a feature.
- You have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at Salesforce and explore our benefits.
Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.com or Salesforce.org.
Salesforce welcomes all.