Software Engineer, Desktop Developer Experience
About the Team
The Slack Internal Tools team makes the development and release of new code safe and enjoyable for our developers. We maintain Slack's deploy pipeline, continuous integration infrastructure, and code review process.
The Desktop DevXP team is part of the Slack Internal Tools team. This team builds tools to ensure that desktop engineers at Slack can develop, test and deploy high-quality code safely and at scale. Our work is to make the Desktop Development team more productive. We’re infrastructure engineers who value craftsmanship, quality and empathy.
Software Engineers at Slack work in a highly collaborative environment, and that is particularly true within Developer Productivity where we are focused on improving the working lives of our fellow engineers across the company. One size does not fit all so please bring your bag of tricks and ability to teach them to others.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
- Understand desktop releases and infrastructure
- Translate new requirements into designs that align with team and company goals.
- Evaluate, implement, and maintain high-quality tools and automation processes to support continuous delivery and developer productivity.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- Firm grasp of computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval
- Minimum of 2-4 years of applicable experience.
- You are a team player and get motivated by helping other engineers succeed. When things break — and they will — you are eager and able to help fix things. You like thinking of ways to improve efficiency or bring delight to the people you work with
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you
- You listen to your mentor and senior engineer, provide your input and move fast
- You are a quick learner, and able to learn and apply best practices for unit tests, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting quickly
- You are someone that others enjoy working with due to your positive attitude and technical competence
- You have curiosity about how things work
- You can work with whichever programming language is required to get the job done—Python, PHP, TypeScript, or others—and are proficient in at least one.
- You have good knowledge with git version control system and Github APIs
- You are familiar with CI/CD system such as Circleci or Jenkins
- You are familiar with Docker and Kubernetes
- You have experience with administration of different operating systems including MacOS, Linux and Windows
- You have experience with cross platform desktop application release process
- You have experience with application error tracking and analysis tool such as sentry or bugsnag
- You've used Slack and are excited to make it better.
The base pay range targeted for this role is $121,667-$146,000 USD. This base pay range is for illustrative purposes only. This position is eligible for additional compensation and benefits including: incentive compensation; health benefits; flexible spending account; retirement benefits; life insurance; commuter benefits; paid time off (including PTO, emergency time off, paid sick leave, medical leave, volunteer time off, civic duty leave, bereavement leave, floating holidays and paid holidays); parental leave and benefits; mobile phone and internet allowance; perks stipend; and other employee perks and benefits.
The actual offer, reflecting the total compensation package and benefits, will be at the company’s sole discretion, and determined by a myriad of factors including, but not limited to, years of experience, depth of experience, and other relevant business considerations. The company also reserves the right to amend or modify employee perks and benefits at any time
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at Salesforce and explore our benefits.
Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.com or Salesforce.org.
Salesforce welcomes all.