Principal Cloud Engineer, Cloud Infrastructure
About the Team
Cloud Infrastructure is a collection of focused teams that enable Slack's engineers to build and run services in the cloud in a safe, simple, and reliable manner. Slack’s infrastructure is always evolving to support our fast-growing business and we are looking for a principal level engineer to join our growing team.
We are made up of systems and software engineers of the US & Canada (PST) and Melbourne, Australia (AEST). We provide different compute options for our customers to deploy to: Kubernetes (EKS), VMs (Chef) and a Serverless (AWS Lambda) platform all tied together with services such as Consul, Envoy and Nebula. We develop tools and services that make it easier for product teams to build and operate their services. We manage our worldwide cloud (AWS) ecosystem and drive the adoption of new cloud technologies within Slack.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
About the Role
Within the Cloud Infrastructure team, this full-time, principal-level position brings together leadership and technical direction for many of the great projects our wider team is working on.
Candidates should ideally be located in the Pacific time zone.
What you will be doing
- Leading engineering efforts on Slack's underlying Cloud infrastructure and beyond. This involves building tools and services, contributing to our internal PaaS compute options (Kubernetes, Chef & VM, Serverless) and making access to AWS services simple and effective
- Leading software projects, from start to finish, where the scope is undefined or needs refinement
- Being heavily involved in setting the platform vision, defining feature roadmaps and writing design documents for potential projects
- Taking responsibility for leading the roadmap, direction and engineering efforts of many of Slacks most critical and forward thinking projects
- Collaborating with other principal engineers on future projects and presenting business cases for these projects to the C-suite
- Participating in an on-call rotation for the services the team owns, triaging and addressing production issues
- Engaging with Slack’s wider engineering community to build relationships, identify potential areas of improvement (or pain points) and help drive adoption of our team’s solutions
- Facilitating/driving engineering best practice conversations across the organization
- Mentoring other engineers to helping to foster a cohesive team environment
- Supporting FedRAMP and DoD SRG activities
What you should have
- Lawful permanent residency within the U.S.
- In-Depth knowledge (expert in a number of AWS services) of how the Cloud works
- Ability to analyze and optimize efficiency in high-traffic internet applications
- A mentoring mindset and love to model modern methodologies for unit tests, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting
- A proven record influencing an entire engineering organization
- Belief that all infrastructure should be deployed as code
- Curiosity about how things work and love to share that knowledge with others
- Proven track record of building tooling, automation and/or services in one or multiple languages (e.g. Go, Python)
- An interest in building internal products with other engineers as your customers
- Extensive experience deploying and operating services in a Cloud environment
- A solid understanding of fundamental networking
- Experience running deployment automation/configuration management systems at scale -- e.g, Chef, Puppet, Terraform, Ansible, CloudFormation or others
You probably tick some of these boxes:
- At least 15 years of professional experience in software engineering, working on transformational projects
- Possess strong knowledge of computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval
- Extensive experience deploying, operating and debugging server software on Linux
- Experience working with large scale AWS/Cloud environments
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- AWS specialty certification(s)
- Prior experience with or knowledge of large scale, high volume systems
- Experience with Kubernetes / Serverless platforms
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.