Slack is looking for an experienced director of engineering to lead Slack’s Growth Engineering team. The team helps drive the growth of Slack by using a metrics-focused and highly iterative process to both find new Slack users as well as make our current users more successful. This person will report to the VP of Engineering and will work alongside our engineering management team.
- Use data to make decisions about prioritization and impact, and have a passion for experimentation
- Have opinions about how to make complex application experiences simple
- Mentor and coach the managers and engineers on the team, helping them to develop as leaders
- Work closely with Product, Design, Data, and Marketing to conceive features that will help our users to successfully build their teams
- Build roadmaps and long-term team vision in partnership with the Product team
- Be accountable for driving project execution
- Define company goals, strategy, and vision to help grow the business
- Evaluate resourcing needs and help fill them through sourcing and interviewing
- Build an organizational structure that keeps engineers empowered and managers informed
- Weigh several, and often conflicting, constraints and make rapid decisions
- Anticipate future technical needs and craft plans to realize them
- Collaborate with other engineering leaders on priorities, processes, and policies
- Represent Slack in industry events, and help promote the Slack Engineering brand
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- You have at least 5 years of engineering management experience, at least 2 of which should include managing managers
- You have contributed to product strategy within a multi-functional leadership team
- You have lead a growth team at a high-growth company
- You have enough technical experience to be able to talk to engineers about architecture and product decisions
- You have a proven history of shipping products with multi-functional teams
- You have built new product development teams and driven them toward a big vision and consistent execution
- You possess extraordinary written and verbal communication skills
- You are highly organized. With many people doing many things in a fast-moving company, strong organizational skills—both for yourself and for the team—will be required
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. Slack's investors include many of the best-recognized firms in the world, including Accel Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, Social+Capital, KPCB, Google Ventures, Horizons Ventures, IVP, Spark Growth, DST, and Index Ventures. We currently have five offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne and New York.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.