Slack is looking for an exceptionally talented and pleasant attorney to join our legal team as our first International Counsel in our Dublin office. This position will be responsible for various legal-related matters involved in selling our products, partnering with others to make Slack better and used by more teams, and ensuring our own people have the best information and tools when doing their jobs.
You’ll work closely with our Accounts, Marketing, Business Operations, Product and Go-To-Market teams, leading legal negotiations and giving advice at all levels of the organization. This is a special opportunity for the right candidate, with a potential for growth. We’re just getting started! And we’re nice. Title and responsibilities will depend on experience and expertise.
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements to support customer sales, our purchase of software and services from vendors, and growth-driven partnerships with both startups and public companies. Your initial focus will be on SaaS subscription agreements, along with co-marketing and technology development agreements, software licenses, and NDAs. Use your experience gained from supporting hundreds or thousands of commercial transactions to help define business terms and structure deals in the most optimal way.
- You’ll help design and implement legal processes and policies to help drive our growth and capture new learnings. Then, iterate again.
- Assist and advise Slack on our international go-to-market efforts in Europe, including localization of agreements and business practices and corporate formation.
- Provide practical, decisive guidance to Accounts, Marketing, Business Operations, Product and People teams that balances business objectives and legal risk.
- Stay up-to-date on relevant industry, commercial, open source, IP and privacy laws, employment and other developments to be able to give the most effective advice.
- Serve as first point of contact on legal requests from our European employees.
- Breadth of experience working on different kinds of domestic and cross-border commercial transactions (e.g., strategic alliance, SaaS, IP licensing, software licensing, product resale and distribution, use of APIs and SDKs, working with contractors, outsourcing, facilities, etc.) matched with deep experience on the types of transactions you’ll see most often (see above).
- Ability to draft documents, policies, emails and anything else in a very precise manner, while still being concise and digestible for non-lawyers. It’s a cliché, but attention to detail really is a must.
- Strong proficiency and understanding of the changing European legal privacy landscape, including GDPR requirements.
- Product, tax, HR and corporate counseling experience a plus.
- A confident, effective and positive negotiator who can lead the process, focus on important issues, and efficiently bring deals to a favorable close.
- Flexibility to adapt and thrive in an environment that is constantly expanding and changing as we grow our business, learn more about our customers, and figure out what works best and what doesn’t.
- High integrity and excellent judgment, supported by a point of view that is thought out and communicated well.
- Entrepreneurial mindset that enables you to successfully work independently with little guidance, but also to use good judgment and escalate issues when needed.
- Substantial understanding of intellectual property, licensing, privacy, data security and commercial laws. Ability to develop a nuanced understanding of Slack and our industry, with an eye towards aligning decisions with the bigger picture goals.
- Qualified lawyer in Europe in good standing and admitted to practice in a qualified jurisdiction.
- Ability to periodically travel to the United States and other countries
- Eager to chip in wherever and whenever help is needed. Good at building authentic relationships with all kinds of people across many functional teams. Oh, and you should like being a lawyer!
Slack is a messaging app for teams that is on a mission to make your working life simpler, more pleasant, and more productive. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. Slack's investors include many of the best-recognized firms in the world, including Accel Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, Social+Capital, KPCB, Google Ventures, Horizons Ventures, IVP, Spark Growth, DST, and Index Ventures. We currently have five offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne and New York.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.