Box for Slack
Box is a file sharing and document management application for businesses. With the Box app for Slack, you can easily share files you’ve uploaded to Box with your team.
Install the Box app
- Visit the Box app page in Slack’s App Directory.
- Click Install.
- Click Authenticate your Box account and sign in to authenticate with Slack.
- To finish, click Grant access to Box.
Note: Every member who wants to share Box files in Slack needs to set up the Box app.
Share files from Box
There are two ways to share files from your Box account: either paste a Box link in Slack or import a file from Box.
When another member opens a Box file you’ve shared, they’ll be taken to the Box app. A member must have permission to view a file, otherwise they’ll see a message saying it’s unavailable.
Note: Any Box files you share can be searched in Slack, but they won’t be stored. They’ll continue to be stored in your Box account.
Paste a link in Slack
- Paste a link to the file in the Slack message box.
- Select Enter to share your message.
- Slackbot will ask your permission to read and import the file. (If you click Yes, you’ll only have to do this once.)
Once you’ve given Slack permission to read your file, your message will expand to show a preview.
Import a file from Box
You can select a file (or multiple) using Box’s file picker. Here’s how:
Click the plus icon next to the message box, select A cloud service, then click Box.
- Pick the file you want to share and click Choose. You can also select who can access the file if you like.
- Give the file a title and choose where you want to share it.
- Click Upload once you’ve finished.