Use markup to format your messages
If you prefer to format your messages with markup instead of automatic formatting when using Slack on your desktop, you can adjust your preference.
What to expect
When you format messages with markup, there are some limitations that you’ll need to keep in mind:
- When you copy and paste formatted messages, they’ll appear in plain text.
- Formatting bullet-point lists with asterisks is not supported.
- It’s not possible to automatically format numbered lists. To format numbered lists, type each number that you’d like to add, followed by a full stop.
- We don’t offer keyboard shortcuts to format your messages with markup.
- You won't see the option to create hyperlinks in your messages.
- You won’t see the option to indent lists in your messages.
- You won’t see the formatting toolbar in the message field.
Tip: If you're using Slack for Mac, you can format bullet-point lists by pressing Option8 for each bullet point.
Set your message formatting preference
- From your desktop, click on your workspace name in the top left.
- Select Preferences from the menu.
- Select Advanced.
- Under Input options, tick or untick the box next to Format messages with markup.