Set your message formatting preference
If you prefer to always format your messages with markup instead of Slack's built-in formatting on your desktop, you can set a message formatting preference.
What to expect
When you choose to set your preference to format messages with markup, there are a few limitations to bear in mind:
- Formatting will be applied to messages after you send them.
- Messages that you copy and paste will appear in plain text.
- Automatic formatting for bulleted, numbered and indented lists is not supported.
Manage your message formatting preference
- From your desktop, click on your workspace name in the top left.
- Select Preferences from the menu.
- Select Advanced.
- Under Input options, tick or untick the box next to Format messages with markup.
Once you’ve set your formatting preference, you can use the following markup actions to format your messages in Slack.