Incoming webhooks for Slack
Incoming webhooks are an easy way to share information from external sources with your workspace.
How it works
- Send data to the channel of your choice.
- Format webhook messages to stand out from other messages in the channel.
- Use HTTP requests with a JSON payload that includes the message text as well as other options.
Tip: Want to learn about HTTP requests? Take a look at this HTTP tutorial.
Set up incoming webhooks
- Create a Slack app (if you haven’t already got one).
- Enable incoming webhooks from the settings page.
- Once the settings page has refreshed, click Add new webhook to workspace.
- Pick a channel for the app to post to, then click Authorise.
- Use your incoming webhook URL to post a message to Slack.
Note: See our API documentation for more details about using incoming webhooks.
Incoming webhooks allow you to add context to your messages by attaching helpful content and links. Images, websites or other pieces of data make these messages more useful for your team.
Note: Learn how to add content and links to messages from our Slack API documentation.