Create or paste code snippets in Slack
Snippets are a quick and easy way to share bits of code, configuration files or log files in your workspace.
Note: You can't currently create or share snippets from the Slack mobile apps.
Add a new snippet
Follow the steps below to create a snippet and share it in a conversation if you like:
- From your desktop, click on the plus icon next to the message field.
- Search for and select Create a text snippet from the menu.
- Enter a title if you like, then choose a file type from the drop-down menu.
- Type or paste your snippet in the Content field.
- To share your snippet, tick the box next to Share this file, select a conversation and add a message if you like.
- Click Create snippet.
Tip: If you've already started typing, you can press ⌘ShiftEnter (Mac) or CtrlShiftEnter (Windows/Linux) to open a pop-up window and convert your existing text to a snippet.
View snippets in your workspace
Use the File browser to view all of the snippets in your workspace.
- Click File browser in the left sidebar. If you don't see this option, click More to find it.
- Select Filter in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Click All file types to open the drop-down menu, then select Snippets.
Edit a snippet
You can edit any snippets that you've created. Only the person who created a snippet can edit it.
- Hover over the snippet that you'd like to edit.
- Click the pencil icon. This will open the snippet in your browser.
- Edit the snippet, then click Save changes.
Share a snippet
Sharing a snippet in Slack lets others download it, view a raw version or leave comments. You can do this when you create the snippet, or any time after.
- Hover over a snippet, then click Share file.
- Below Share with, choose a channel or direct message (DM) from the drop-down menu.
- Click Share.
Who can use this feature?