Schedule a meeting with external partners
What’s it handy for?
Coordinating meetings is never easy. Coordinating meetings with external partners, vendors, and customers working across calendaring tools, time zones, and/or flexible work schedules? The world’s worst game of Tetris.
With the Outlook Calendar app or Google Calendar app, you can schedule a meeting right from a Slack Connect channel. The calendar apps will scan guests’ free and busy time slots across organizations and recommend the best times to book a meeting.
Scheduling meetings in Slack is great for:
- Reducing time and effort in coordinating meetings
- Giving your team and partners visibility into recently scheduled meetings
- Cutting down on switching costs of jumping to another app
Before you get started
Install the Outlook Calendar app or Google Calendar app to your Slack workspace and connect your account. All invited guests must be connected to the Outlook or Google Calendar app in Slack in order for suggested meeting times to populate.
If you aren’t connected to your external partner yet, create a Slack Connect channel in your workspace and have Slack administrators from both teams link them together.
How to schedule a meeting from Slack
- Click the shortcuts button inside of Slack.
- Search for the “Create event” shortcut.
- Fill out your event details. In order to view suggested meeting times, all invited guests must be connected to the Outlook Calendar or Google Calendar app in Slack. You can also choose to share your meeting in your channel, giving others a friendly heads up that the meeting is on the books.
- Voilà! The event is scheduled. If you chose to share your meeting in a channel, a rich message with event details will post in your specified destination.
Sharing a meeting makes it easy to kick off lightweight preparation, like prompting a teammate to share relevant documents in advance of a meeting.