Use markup to format your messages
If you'd prefer to format your messages with markup instead of automatic formatting on your desktop, you can adjust your preference at any time.
Note: To learn more about using Slack's automatic formatting for your messages, visit Format your messages.
Set your formatting preference on desktop
- From your desktop, click your workspace name in the top left.
- Select Preferences from the menu.
- Select Advanced on the left side.
- Under Input Options, check the box next to Format messages with markup.
What to expect
If you choose to format messages with markup, there are some limitations to keep in mind:
- When you copy and paste formatted messages, they’ll appear in plain text.
- To format bulleted lists on Mac, press Option8 for each bullet you want to add. It’s not currently possible to format bulleted lists by typing an asterisk (*) on Slack for Mac, Windows, or Linux.
- To format numbered lists, type each number you want to add, followed by a period. It’s not currently possible to automatically format numbered lists.
We don’t currently offer keyboard shortcuts to format your messages when the markup preference is enabled.
- You won't see the option to create hyperlinks in your messages.
You won't see the formatting toolbar in the message field.