Add descriptions to images
When you add an image to Slack, you can include a description. This description (or alt text) will help people with visual impairments understand more about the image you’ve shared.
Note: Image descriptions are currently only available on desktop and Android devices, but we may make this feature available for iOS devices in the future.
Add a description
- From your desktop, drag and drop an image into the message field in Slack, or click the paper clip icon next to the message field and choose an image to add.
- Click the image in the message field.
- Select Edit file details in the top-left corner.
- Add your description and edit the file name if you'd like.
- Click Save Changes.
Tip: You can also add a description after you’ve shared a file. Click the three dots icon on the image then select Edit file details.
Add your image to Slack.
- Tap the image and select the three dots icon in the bottom-left corner.
- Select Add description.
- Add your description and tap Save.
Who can use this feature?