Manage your Mark as Read preference
Messages in Slack will be marked as read soon after you open a channel or direct message. If you’d like, you can change this preference and select one of these options:
- Start where you left off and mark the channel as read
- Start at the newest message and mark the channel as read
- Start at the newest message but leave the unseen messages unread
Set your Mark as Read preference
- From your desktop, click your workspace name in the top left.
- Select Preferences from the menu,
- Select Mark as read.
- Under When I view a channel, select your preference.
Tip: Learn more about reading messages in Slack.