Use posts in Slack
Posts let you create, edit, and share fully-formatted documents directly in Slack. They’re a great way to share and collaborate on long-form content — like project plans or meeting notes.
Note: You can view posts on Slack’s mobile apps, but you’ll need to use Slack on your desktop to create and edit them.
Create a post
- From your desktop, click the lightning bolt icon in the bottom left of the message field to open the shortcuts menu.
- Under Slack, select Create a post.
- Enter a title and begin typing. Your work will be saved automatically.
Access your posts
From your desktop, you can see a list of all the posts you've created.
- Click Files at the top of your left sidebar to open the Files browser.
- Click Filter.
- Open the File type drop-down menu, then select Posts.
Share a post
- Open your post by clicking the Edit in new window icon.
- Click Share.
- Under Share in, search for a channel or person to share your post with.
- If you'd like to allow shared editing, check the box next to Let others edit this post.
Copy a link to a post
To get a link to your post, use the steps below:
- Open your post.
- In the top right, click the three dots icon.
- Click Copy link.
Edit a post
Once you've created a post, you can use the steps below to edit it.
- Open the post and make your changes.
- Once you’re finished, click Done Editing.
Enable shared editing
To let other members to edit your post, you can allow shared editing. Only one person can edit a post at a time, so the Edit button will be unavailable when someone else is making changes.
Any member can edit a public post, but posts shared in private channels and direct messages can only be edited by members of those conversations.
To allow shared editing, use the steps below:
- Open your post.
- In the top right, click Share.
- Check or uncheck the box next to Let others edit this post.
- Click Share to save.
Format a post
When you're writing or editing a post, you'll see a menu with formatting options appear when you highlight a portion of text.
Add images to a post
Images from Slack
For images that have been shared to your Slack workspace, use the steps below:
- From your desktop, hover over the image you'd like to use.
- Click the three dots icon and choose Copy link to file.
- Paste the link in the post. If the image is public and shared, it will automatically expand in your post.
Images from the web
To add a web image, copy the image URL and paste it to your post.
Note: Images will not display in posts if Slack can't detect an image's file extension, or an image URL is added to a list in a post.