Spaces: A new way to curate, collaborate and share (pilot)
Without having to leave your workspace, create or edit documents using all the familiar features that you’re used to in Slack: collaborate and format content intuitively, mention teammates directly and share in channels!
Note: We’re piloting spaces with a small number of customers. Sit tight! We’ll share an update when the feature is available to everyone.
What are spaces?
- A new tool to help teams organise, curate, collaborate and share information – completely connected to your Slack workspace.
- Create a space for anything that you’re working on – meeting notes, project briefs or checklists – then share it in the appropriate Slack channel. You can even have private spaces just for select eyes only.
Create a space
There are two ways to create a space:
- From anywhere in Slack, hover over the compose button next to your workspace name, then click on New space.
- Click on the plus icon in the message field, then choose Create a space.
Find a space
You can search for spaces in the search field, just like other messages and files. Or, here’s how to see all the spaces that you have access to:
- From your desktop, click on File browser at the top of your left sidebar. If you don’t see this option, click on More/span> to find it.
- Click on File type and select Spaces and posts.
Delete a space
- Open the space that you want to delete.
- Click on the more icon, then Delete space.
Note: You can only delete spaces that you create.
Share as a message
- Open the space that you want to share, then click on the share icon.
- Use the drop-down menu to choose where you’d like to share the message, and add a note if you’d like.
Click on Share to send the space with your message.
To see everyone that a space is shared with, click on the share button on a space or the list of channels/people shown next to the space’s title.
If you want to un-share a space, delete the message that the space was shared in or delete the bookmark from the channel that you added it to.
Copy a link to a space
- Open the space that you want to share, then click on the three dots icon.
- Click on Copy link to space, then paste into a conversation.
Add a space to the bookmarks bar
If you add a space to the bookmarks bar of any conversation, it’ll share that space with everyone there.
Note: Like files, spaces shared in public channels can be seen by any member of your workspace. Spaces shared privately can be shared by anyone who has access to them. More control will be added in the future.
Add comments in spaces
Comments in spaces work just like threads on messages in Slack. Whoever wrote the text that you’re replying to will see your comment in their Threads view. If other people add replies, you can view the comments in your Threads view. If you mention people in a reply, they will be notified.
- Select the text that you’d like to reply to, then click on the comment icon.
- Type your reply, then send your message.
When will posts be retired?
Spaces will eventually replace posts in Slack, but we don’t plan to do that until spaces are completely ready for the spotlight. Feel free to continue using posts. We’ll provide lots of notice when we have firm plans to launch spaces to all our customers.
What will happen to Slack posts in my workspace?
When posts are retired, existing posts won’t be deleted. We’ll make it easy by migrating your data to spaces. We promise that they won’t simply disappear.
How can I provide feedback on spaces during the pilot?
Any and all feedback is welcome through the #feedback-spaces-pilot Slack Connect channel in your workspace. Use the workflow to submit feedback directly to our product team for consideration as they tinker with and refine this feature.
How long will the spaces pilot last?
We’ll run the spaces pilot for several months until we’re ready to launch to all our customers.
When will new features be added?
Throughout the pilot period, we plan to increase editing functionality, build new features and iterate designs based on feedback from pilot customers. We’ll let you know when we have something new to try out!
How do mentions and comments work in spaces?
You can use mentions in the body of a space similar to how you use them in Slack messages (Hi, @emily! Please look at this file before Tuesday.). Notifications for mentions can be found under Mentions & reactions in the sidebar.
Similarly, you can leave comments in spaces. Comments behave like messages in threads. View comments left by teammates under Threads in the sidebar.
Are spaces available on mobile?
Spaces can only be viewed on mobile at this time. It’s not currently possible to create, delete or modify a space.
What will happen to my spaces at the end of the pilot?
If for some reason we don’t launch spaces to everyone, we’ll provide pilot customers with some way of exporting their data.