Send email to Slack
What’s it handy for?
There are two options for directing emails into Slack: you can create a forwarding email address or connect the Email app to your workspace channels.
Send email into Slack to:
- Keep an eye on a shared email list or inbox
- Pass customer feedback along to the relevant team
- Share competitive intel or inspiration with your teammates
Send one email at a time into Slack with a forwarding address
All Slack users (except guests) have the option to create a forwarding email address in their Preferences.
- Open preferences and locate Messages & Media
- Scroll to the bottom of the Messages & Media page and click the button to get a forwarding address.
- Copy this custom email address and paste into important emails you’d like to forward into your Slack workspace
- Any new message sent to that address will arrive instantly in Slackbot, with the option to share the email in other channels
Send emails into a dedicated Slack channel with the Email App
On Slack’s paid plans, you can create an email address that automatically posts any new email directly into a specific channel.
- Add the email app from the Slack App Directory.
- Then pick a channel you want to direct your emails into
- Copy and use the generated email address. If you’d like others to use it, post the email in a message and pin it to the channel. This is particularly useful for sending recurring emails or reports into Slack, just use the special email address wherever you are subscribing to newsletters or generating reports and they will automatically make their way into Slack instead of your inbox.
- Any email directed to the special address will appear in your desired channel immediately. From there, you can have discussions about the contents, share it with other relevant people, or just use the channel to monitor a stream of incoming mail.