Data residency for Slack
Data residency for Slack allows global teams to choose the region where certain types of data at rest are stored.
Here's what you need to know about data residency:
- Customers must store all Slack data in a single region.
- If you’re using the free version of Slack or the Pro plan, you’ll need to upgrade to the Business+ plan first.
- Contact our Sales team to set up data residency for your organization.
Where data residency for Slack is available
In the table below, see where data residency is available and the corresponding backup regions.
|Data residency region||Data backup region|
|Frankfurt, Germany||Paris, France|
|Paris, France||Frankfurt, Germany|
|Tokyo, Japan||Osaka, Japan|
|Sydney, Australia||Sydney, Australia*|
|London, United Kingdom||London, United Kingdom*|
|Montreal, Canada||Montreal, Canada*|
*Slack will replicate data in order to keep the data residency and data backup in the same region.
How data residency for Slack works
Data stored in the data region
The following categories of customer data will be stored at rest in a data center within the Customer’s selected region as of the date data residency is enabled:
- Messages, posts, and snippets
- Files (ex., images, docs, etc.) uploaded to the Slack Service
- Search index of Customer Data
- App- or bot-generated messages and files
Data stored outside the data region
The following categories of data may be processed and stored in regions outside of the customer’s data region:
- Slack member profiles
- Workspace and channel membership information
- Data used to measure seat count, usage, and revenue
- Data used for analytics and to measure quality of service, ex. sanitized logs
- IDs generated by Slack on behalf of the customer
If a new workspace or Enterprise Grid org is set up in a data residency region, customer data will be stored in the selected region starting the date the workspace or org is created.
For existing customers wishing to enable data residency, all newly generated user data will reside in the selected region. Existing user data will continue to reside in the United States, but the customer can request to migrate existing data to their selected data region by contacting our Sales team.
If external organizations connected by a shared channel are in the same data region, all of their customer data will remain in that data region as well. If organizations are located in different data regions, the following will happen:
- Each organization’s messages will live in their respective data regions.
- The search index for the shared channel will live in each organization's region.
- If the channel stops being shared, each organization will get a copy of the other party's previously shared data.
Enterprise Key Management
New Enterprise Key Management (EKM) customers can choose to create and store their encryption keys in a specific data region with data residency. Existing EKM customers are not able to store their encryption keys in specific data regions at this time, but we may offer this capability in the future.
Ready to get started? Contact our Sales team.
- Only the Primary Owner can enable data residency for a workspace or org
- Business+ and Enterprise Grid plans