Guide to email notifications
Slack notifications keep you informed about things that need your attention. Keep reading to learn how email notifications work and how to customize them.
How email notifications work
- By default, you'll get email notifications until you enable mobile notifications.
You'll receive email notifications if you're not active in Slack when someone mentions you or sends you a direct message (DM).
- Notifications are bundled and sent once every 15 minutes or once an hour, depending on your preferences.
- You can send a reply to a Slack message from the related email notification.
Note: It’s not possible to receive email notifications for all new messages.
Configure your email notifications
- From your desktop, click your profile picture in the top right.
Select Preferences from the menu to open your notification preferences.
Under When I'm not active on desktop, check or uncheck Send me email notifications for mentions and direct messages. If checked, choose how often you’d like notifications delivered.
Tip: You can also manage your email subscriptions to adjust how often you receive news about Slack apps and features, opportunities to provide feedback, or Slack tips.
Reply to Slack messages from email notifications
If you receive email notifications from Slack, you can reply to them to send messages back to Slack.
- Open the notification from your email inbox.
- Click Reply from the email and type your message.
- Send your message.
The next time you open Slack, you’ll see your reply in the appropriate channel, thread, or direct message. If a teammate replies, you can continue the conversation in Slack or reply by email again.
Note: Invited members can reply to messages from email notifications before they join a workspace.
Learn more about notifications
To troubleshoot an issue with your email notifications or to learn more about notifications on the Slack desktop or mobile apps, check out the articles below: