- Sara recently joined Acme Inc., a company just like yours.
- Acme Inc. adopted Slack a while ago, and Sara is learning how it has changed the way the company works.
- In this lesson, Sara wants to explore how working in channels can help her search and keep track of information.
Sara’s experience before Slack
At her previous company, Sara found that key pieces of information were being shared in many different places. Emails had attachments and links to files, multiple cloud services were used across the company, and file storage services were easy to mix up. The numerous ways to share information made it difficult to keep track of everything and move work along.
How Acme uses Slack
- Files and conversations exist side by side in channels, and the value of channels grows over time to become a company’s repository of information.
- Since Acme does all of its work in channels, Sara knows that she can search Slack and find information she’s looking for.
- Sara uses stars to bookmark key pieces of information and files.
An example from Acme
- Sara has searched for a file called Strategic Plan to reference for an upcoming meeting.
- Sara wants to be able to come back to this file easily, so she bookmarks the file using a star.
- She uses a reminder to set a time to come back to the message later in her day.
Searching in Slack
Sara needs to find an important document to review before a meeting. Everything in Slack—including messages, files, and data from apps—is easily searchable, because everyone at Acme Inc. works in channels. Sara uses a modifier to narrow her search to find the Strategic Plan she was looking for.
Note: For more information on search, including filters and modifiers, read the guide to search here.
Bookmarking files and messages with stars
Starring a file or message is similar to bookmarking a website. Sara uses a star to keep track of important messages or files she finds while searching in Slack.
Using reminders to track action items
Lee has asked the team to take a look at the Year-on-Year Growth document before an upcoming meeting. Sara needs to come back to this, since she doesn’t have the time to dig into it right now. She uses a reminder to set a time to have Slack bring her back to the message.
Your next steps
💡 Search for a file or message in Slack, and bookmark it with a star.
💡 Set a reminder on a message that you’d like to come back to.