Set a reminder
Busy as a bee, or maybe feeling a little forgetful? Set reminders for yourself or other members of your workspace for important meetings, to-do items, or anything you might need to come back to later.
You can set a reminder in a few ways:
- Open the shortcuts menu to create a reminder for yourself.
- Click the three dots icon next to any message to remind yourself to come back to it later.
- Type the /remind slash command in the message field to create a custom reminder for yourself, other members, or a specific channel.
Note: Multi-Channel and Single-Channel Guests can only set reminders for themselves.
Set a reminder from the shortcuts menu
You can set a reminder for yourself from anywhere in Slack with a shortcut. Here's how:
- From your desktop, click the lightning bolt icon to the left of the message field.
- Click Set myself a reminder.
- Click the When field to select a date from the calendar.
- Click the Time field to select a time from the drop-down menu.
- Enter a reminder description.
- Click Create.
- From a channel or direct message, tap the lightning bolt icon.
- Below Slack, tap Set myself a reminder.
- Tap the When field to select a date.
- Tap the Time field to select a time.
- Enter a reminder description.
- Tap Create.
Slackbot will send you a direct message with the reminder description at your preferred time. If you don't specify a time, Slackbot will deliver your reminder to you on the day of your choosing at 9 a.m.
Set a reminder from a message
You can set a reminder for yourself from any Slack message. Slackbot will send you a reminder about the message at the time of your choosing.
- Hover over a message or file.
- Click the More actions icon.
- Hover over Remind me about this.
- Choose a timeframe from the list or select Custom to set your own.
- Tap and hold a message or file.
- Tap Remind Me.
- Tap the timeframe when you'd like to be reminded or select Custom to set your own.
Set a reminder with a slash command
Type /remind in the message field to set a reminder for yourself, someone else, or a channel. When you type /remind, you’ll see a template for formatting reminders: /remind [@someone or #channel] [what] [when].
Note: There are a number of ways to format the time and date in your reminder. If you don’t include a time of day, Slackbot will default to 9 a.m. on the day or date you choose.
|Slash command||[@someone or #channel]||[What]||[When]|
|To remind yourself||/remind||me||Update presentation||In 10 minutes|
|To remind a member||/remind||@lima||Submit report||May 30|
|To remind a channel||/remind||#team-design||Join the weekly meeting||Every Tuesday|
Tip: To quickly set a reminder for yourself, type /remind and send the message. Then, enter a date, time, description for your reminder.
Things to keep in mind
- If you’re using Slack in a different language, you can create a reminder in your language, but we recommend following the time and date format for reminders in English.
- Reminders will always be set in your time zone. If you have teammates in different regions, make sure you take their time zone into account when setting a reminder.
- We won’t suggest private channel names when you’re typing a reminder. To set a reminder for a private channel, type the # sign in front of the exact spelling of the private channel's name.
- You can set recurring reminders for yourself or for a channel, but not for other members.
View a list of reminders
Type the /remind list slash command in the message field and send the message to view a list of your upcoming, past, or incomplete reminders. To view and manage reminders for a particular channel, type /remind list in the message field of that channel.
Snooze a reminder
If you’re not ready to act on your reminder, use the drop-down menu in the reminder message from Slackbot to reschedule. You can snooze the reminder for 20 minutes, 1 hour, or until tomorrow at 9 a.m.
Complete a reminder
Type the /remind list slash command in the message field and send the message. Then, click Complete next to the reminder you want to mark as done. Click View completed reminders to review items you’ve marked as done.
Delete a reminder
Type the /remind list slash command in the message field and send the message. Then, click Delete next to the reminder you want to delete.
Keep in mind: Recurring reminders can’t be marked as complete, but they can be deleted.