- Sara recently joined Acme, a company just like yours.
- Acme adopted Slack a while ago, and Sara is learning how it has impacted the way they work.
- In this lesson, Sara wants to learn a bit more about what Slack is, how it replaces email, and understand how Slack is used at Acme.
Sara’s experience before Slack
At her previous company, Sara found that communication happened in many different places. She received a constant stream of emails to her inbox, even if they weren’t very valuable or didn’t apply to her. Files were shared with individuals, and decisions were often made without everyone knowing what was going on. These communication silos made it difficult to keep people aligned, track information, and stay up to date. Sara didn’t feel like she had the tools and information to help her achieve her best work.
How Acme uses Slack
- Acme uses Slack to replace email inside the company.
- Teamwork in Slack happens in channels—a single place for messaging, tools and files—helping everyone save time and collaborate together.
What is Slack?
Slack helps people work together and collaborate as easily online as they do in person. It’s designed to support the way people naturally work together, making collaborating with people online as easy and efficient as it is face-to-face.
Sara is learning that Slack is the collaboration hub at Acme, where the right people are always in the loop and key information is always at their fingertips. Teamwork at Acme happens in channels, where the right people are included, relevant information is in one place, and new team members are able to get up to speed easily.
An example from Acme
- Organize conversations: Everyone at Acme works in channels, which is where teams share ideas, make decisions, and move work forward.
- Share files and documents: Sara is able to bring files into conversations so that everyone has all the context they need.
- Find everything in the archive: Sara can search Acme’s Slack workspace for messages, files, and channels—everything she needs to get the right information.
- Talk it out face-to-face: Whenever a message isn’t the right fit, Sara can start a call with colleagues right from inside Slack.
Join Sara as she learns how to get in, get comfortable, and get to work in Slack.