Use shortcuts to take actions in Slack
Use shortcuts to quickly take actions — like using an app or running a workflow — in Slack. Type a forward slash followed by the name of the shortcut, slash command or workflow you'd like to run, or click the slash icon in the message field to browse the shortcuts menu.
What to expect
- When you open the menu, it will be populated with recently used shortcuts. To find a particular shortcut, slash command or workflow, start typing the name, or scroll to see some examples.
- If you use Slack Connect to work in channels with external organizations, only members of your organization can use shortcuts associated with apps installed to your workspace.
- Click the slash icon next to the message field or type a forward slash to open the shortcuts menu.
- Start typing the name of an app, slash command or workflow, and select the associated shortcut you'd like to use from the menu. If any additional information is required to run the shortcut, the details will be indicated in the menu.
- Press Enter, or click the paper plane icon to send your message and run the shortcut.
- Tap the slash icon next to the message field or type a forward slash to open the shortcuts menu.
- Search for an app, slash command or workflow by name, and select the associated shortcut you'd like to use from the menu.
- Following the shortcut name in the message field, add any other text you need to use the command. The required formatting of any additional text will be indicated in the shortcut menu.
- Send your message to run the shortcut.
Types of shortcuts
Some apps include shortcuts you can use to take actions in another service right from your workspace. You may need to add extra text to specify what you need the shortcut to do. App developers determine what’s required, and you’ll typically see prompts in the menu as you’re typing.
Slash commands allow you to carry out common Slack actions from anywhere in Slack. Below, you’ll find a list of the ones that are built right into Slack.
Your team can build customized workflows to automate tasks in Slack. Start typing the name of your workflow, then select it from the list to trigger the workflow.
These shortcuts are available on every Slack workspace, from day one. In the message composer, type a forward slash followed by a command to try it.
|Add someone to a channel
|/invite [@someone] [#channel]
|Append ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ to the end of your message
|Archive the current channel*
|Browse channels in your workspace**
|Browse files in your workspace
|Collapse all inline images and video in the current channel (opposite of /expand)
|Browse people and user groups
|Create a code or text snippet**
|Create a new channel*
|Create a workflow with Workflow Builder***
|Edit the current channel’s description
|Expand all inline images and video in the current channel (opposite of /collapse)
|Leave the current channel
|Manage notifications for a channel or DM
|Mute or unmute a conversation
|Open Workflow Builder**
|Remove someone from the current channel*
|/remove (or /kick) @someone
|Rename the current channel*
|/rename [new channel name]
|Search messages and files in your workspace or org
|/search [your search terms]
|Send a new message with the compose button
|Send a DM
|/msg [@someone] [your message]
|Send a message to a channel
|/msg [#channel] [your message]
|Send feedback or a help request to the Slack Customer Experience team
|Set a reminder for yourself
|Set the current channel topic
|Set your status to away or active
|Start a huddle
|Turn dark mode on or off**
|Turn Do Not Disturb (DND) on or off
|View your DMs**
|View your downloaded files and images**
|View your draft messages**
|View your mentions & reactions**
|View your saved items
|View Slack keyboard shortcuts
*May be restricted to owners and admins
**Not available on the Slack mobile apps
***Only available on paid plans