Slack updates and changes
See what's new in Slack and what we're gradually rolling out. ✨
Enhance your video clips
Record audio and video clips up to five minutes long and blur your background to add a little extra polish.
Channel management tools for Slack Connect permissions
Use channel management tools to adjust permissions for external people working in your Slack Connect channels.
Slack Connect: useful sidebar design updates
From contacts to connections, all things Slack Connect can be accessed from your sidebar. Find external channels and DMs organized by organization, browse Slack Connect channels you can join, and view pending invitations (and nudge along, if need be).
- Create messages with code blocks ( ) within blockquote ( ) text formatting.
Discover more in Slack
Learn about useful new features right in Slack. Just click the question mark icon for the highlights!
- Start and join huddles from Firefox.
Create messages with numbered ( ) or bulleted ( ) lists within blockquote
( ) text formatting.
Simpler design for attachments, shortcuts & text formatting
Add attachments or use shortcuts from a single new menu, and choose to hide text formatting tools when you don’t need them. Learn more!
Introduce people across the companies you work with
Securely share certain contact information to help connect people across the companies you work with.
Preferences for connecting to other services from Slack
Choose whether you’re prompted to sign up for or sign in to other services after clicking on links to certain websites or apps in Slack.
Get notified of all thread replies in a channel
To make sure you never miss a message, turn on notifications for replies to every thread in a channel.
Create folders and keep bookmarks organized
Organize your bookmarks in conversations with folders.
Review monthly channel analytics
Members on paid plans can view monthly data and two new metrics for channels on the analytics dashboard.
Turn off @here and @channel notifications
On the Business+ plan and above, update a channel's permissions to prevent people from using @here and @channel mentions to notify an entire channel at once.
Use Slack Connect with free teams
A new Slack Connect setting for Enterprise Grid makes working with people outside your company more seamless. When enabled, teams on a free plan can join channels they’re invited to without having to upgrade.
- On Enterprise Grid, changes to session duration are now applied to members’ sessions over the timeframe you’ve selected.
- Manage rich link previews for apps that aren’t installed to your workspace.
- Add alt text to images on your Android device, just like on desktop.
- We’ve updated the steps to verify Slack for Linux (beta) package signatures for versions 4.22 and above.
Org-level app requests
Enterprise Grid admins can manage app requests when apps that are already approved or restricted for their org require new scopes.
New file retention options
On paid plans, choose the option to keep all files, including deleted files, forever or just for a specific number of days.
Outline guidelines for using Slack Connect
Enterprise Grid admins can create and give guidelines for members to follow when using Slack Connect to work with people from different companies.
- Mute your microphone while recording video clips.
- Set who can post in Slack Connect channels.
- See when people add you to channels from mentions & reactions.
- Improve accessibility by setting a preference to underline links.
- Create Slack apps more easily with our app manifest system (open beta).
Record video and audio clips
Record clips in Slack to share audio, video, or screen recordings in any channel or direct message (DM). Anyone in the conversation can play a clip and respond when they have time, or catch up later by reading a transcript.
Captions and transcripts for videos
While watching videos in Slack, click the closed caption icon anytime to view captions. To read through what was covered in a transcript, click the three lines icon.
Updates to our supported operating systems
To focus on delivering the best Slack experience possible, we’ve updated the system requirements for our supported operating systems.
- View others’ shared screens in Slack Huddles on mobile.
- Add the Slack Notifications Update Set to ServiceNow to set up alerts in Slack.
View pages side-by-side in Slack with split view
Split view lets you open two different parts of Slack side-by-side, so you don’t have to move back and forth between them. Press Cmd (Mac) or Ctrl (Windows) and click on a conversation or page to open it in split view.
New sidebar preferences for paid plans
If you use Slack on the Pro, Business+, or Enterprise Grid plan, you’ll now see a set of preferences to manage how conversations are displayed and sorted in your entire sidebar. You can still manage conversation display and sorting for individual custom sections. Any preferences you set for an individual custom section will override the preferences you set for your entire sidebar.
Ensure channels stay private for people from other companies
When you add people from other companies to a private channel, the channel will remain private for everyone who joins it. Previously, the person who accepted the invitation had the option to make the channel public for their organization.
Enhancements to bookmarks
Bookmarks just got better. When you add bookmarks in a channel or direct message, you can now add an emoji to display alongside the bookmark name. You can also rearrange your bookmarks in the conversation header and see who edited a bookmark last.
Set custom date ranges for member metrics
Anyone with permission to use the analytics dashboard on paid plans can now set a custom date range for member metrics. This allows them to view data for a particular period of time from the past 13 months.
- Legacy workspace apps, which were part of a 2018 developer preview we didn’t fully release, have been deprecated. Learn more on Slack API.
- Owners and admins can now enable domain-wide authentication to grant all members of their workspace or Enterprise Grid org access to the Google Calendar or Outlook Calendar app in Slack.
- When writing messages in Slack, you can now link private channel names just like public channels. People can only see and click names of private channels they've joined.
- Enterprise Grid admins now have two new metrics on their org-level analytics dashboard to measure Slack calls and huddles adoption.
- When using markup to format your messages in Slack, you can now create links, ordered lists, and bulleted lists.
- If your request to work in a Slack Connect channel is pending approval, you can instantly start a direct message with the person you invited while you wait for them to join the channel.
Early access to Slack Connect automatic approval settings
A new default setting to help owners automate the routine tasks of approving new Slack Connect channel requests will be available starting July 28, with changes going into effect August 31. Check out the details.
Add descriptions to images in Slack
Schedule messages to send in the future
When you have an important message to share in Slack but it doesn’t need to be sent quite yet, you can schedule it. By choosing a date and time in the future, you’ll know your message will be delivered whether you’re at your desk or on the go.
- Enterprise Grid admins now have a new set of member metrics on the analytics dashboard to help them measure adoption of key Slack features.
Start a live conversation in any channel or DM with Slack Huddles
Slack Huddles make it possible to have quick, informal conversations with the people you work with in Slack. Any member of a channel or direct message (DM) can start a huddle to kick off a live, audio-only discussion that anyone in the conversation can join. Once a huddle has started, you can share your screen and turn on live captions.
Slack is available in Russian
Привет! We’ve added Russian to the list of languages we support. To use Slack in Russian, learn how to update your language preference.
Start direct messages with people outside your company — now on all plans
You can now send a Slack Connect direct message (DM) invitation on the free version of Slack, making it easier to work with all of your partners. Invitations could previously only be sent on Slack’s paid plans.
Create legal holds on Enterprise Grid
In an Enterprise Grid organization, anyone with the Compliance Admin system role can place a legal hold on specific members to preserve their messages and files in Slack. Message and file data subject to a legal hold can be accessed using the Discovery API.
A simpler way to view conversation details
You can now find all the info you need about a conversation in one place. Click the name of a channel or direct message (DM) to see important details, like members, settings, and integrations. Plus, you can add links as bookmarks so everyone in a conversation can find them easily. Learn more about the changes in our Help Center.
- Owners and admins can now enable domain-wide authentication to grant all members of their workspace or Enterprise Grid org access to the OneDrive and SharePoint app in Slack.
- Org Owners on the Enterprise Grid plan can now make single sign-on (SSO) optional for select members in their organization, allowing them to sign in with an email address and password.
New ways to manage Slack Connect invitations
Anyone can now revoke invitations to channels they've sent to people from other companies from the Slack Connect page at the top of their sidebars. Members can also view all their sent and received invitations for Slack Connect channels and DMs from this page.
Same plans, new names
The Standard plan is now called Pro, and the Plus plan is now called Business+. Don't worry, all the features and pricing are still the same.
Add your pronouns to your Slack profile
We’ve added a new profile field for people’s pronouns. Owners and admins can now allow members to add their pronouns to their Slack profiles by enabling the pronoun profile field.
Updates to system roles for Enterprise Grid
The Org Primary Owner can now assign IDP groups to system roles in their organization. In addition, Workspace Primary Owners can assign members to system roles in workspaces they manage.
Intune Mobile App Management for Enterprise Grid
Org Owners and Org Admins on the Enterprise Grid plan can now set up Microsoft Intune Mobile App Management without enrollment (MAM-WE), allowing them to add Slack to a set of trusted apps to ensure sensitive business data stays secure on unmanaged personal mobile devices.
- Messages you send in Slack Connect channels and DMs will now be scanned for malicious links. If any are detected, you’ll see a warning.
- Owners and admins on the Plus and Enterprise Grid plans can now view email addresses created for channels in their workspaces with channel management tools.
New Slack Connect permission for file uploads on Enterprise Grid
Org Owners and Org Admins can now choose whether Workspace Owners and Workspace Admins can manage file uploads for individual workspaces in their Enterprise Grid organization.
Stop DM invitations from specific people
If you receive a DM invitation from someone who you don’t want to hear from, you now have the option to prevent future Slack Connect invitations from that person.
- Install the new ServiceNow app to create incidents and work with records right from your workspace. Plus, integrate ServiceNow with your existing incident processes using customizable steps for Workflow Builder.
- Files you add to Slack will now be scanned for viruses and other malware, and won’t be uploaded if any are detected.
- You can now choose to show or hide the Slack Connect page at the top of your sidebar. Learn more about how to set your sidebar preferences.
- Customers on the Enterprise Grid plan can now share multi-workspace channels with people outside their company. Learn how to invite another organization to a channel.
Manage incoming emails on Plus and Enterprise Grid
Owners and admins on the Plus and Enterprise Grid plans now have the ability to disable incoming emails for their workspace or organization to prevent emails sent to channels, DMs, or Slackbot from being posted to Slack.
Slack is available in Chinese
你好！We’ve added Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese to the list of languages we support. Learn how to update your language preference in Slack.
Introducing system roles for Enterprise Grid
Org Primary Owners can grant additional permissions with three new system roles: Channels Admin, Users Admin, and Roles Admin. These roles let members manage aspects of their organization that previously only owners or admins could oversee. We’ll be adding more roles in the future — stay tuned!
Access Slack Connect in your sidebar
You’ll now see a page at the top of your sidebar where you can send and accept invitations, find Slack Connect resources, and more. Below this page, you’ll see a dedicated sidebar section where Slack Connect channels and DMs will appear by default.
Connect with people from other organizations in direct messages
Slack Connect for direct messages (DMs) is now available, allowing you to securely exchange DMs with people outside your company when you’re not sharing channels together. Learn how to send and accept DM invitations in our Help Center.
A simpler way to filter search results
Find what you’re looking for in Slack more easily with filters built to help you sort through information. Select Messages, Channels, Files, or People along with your query, and the in: or from: filter if you’d like to narrow results by the person who sent a message or a custom sidebar section. From your search results, select additional filters (including a helpful range of dates) to locate exactly what you need.
Automatically approve requests to share channels — now on Enterprise Grid
Members with permission to manage Slack Connect can now automatically approve requests to share channels on the Enterprise Grid plan. Turn on automatic approval for trusted organizations to share channels without additional admin approval from your organization.
Updates to our supported operating systems
To focus on delivering the best Slack experience possible, we’ve updated the minimum requirements for our supported operating systems. Read more about the minimum requirements for using Slack.
- Owners and admins can create a list of allowed domains to manage emails sent to channels and direct messages (DMs) in their workspace or Enterprise Grid organization.
New and improved shortcuts menu for Slack on mobile
The shortcuts menu on our iOS and Android apps will now match what you see on desktop, so you can tap the lightning bolt icon to open the menu from any conversation. From the menu, you can quickly access common actions (like creating a channel or setting your status), choose a shortcut from the Suggested section, or search for app shortcuts and slash commands.
Additional membership metrics in the analytics dashboard
You now have access to new membership metrics from the Overview tab of the analytics dashboard. Get a better view of how many people have been SCIM provisioned, invited, or signed in to your workspace or org.
New audio and video preferences to improve your Slack calls
You can now manage all of your preferences for Slack calls from one place. Select a default camera, test your speaker, and more from the Audio & video section of your preferences.
Easier access to search on the Slack mobile apps
If you update your Slack iOS or Android app to version 21.02.10, you’ll see Search in the bottom tab bar. Tap the Search tab to quickly find what you need by searching for messages and files or browsing channels and people.
Manage guests with SCIM provisioning on Enterprise Grid
Workspace Owners and Admins on the Enterprise Grid plan can now create and deactivate accounts for multi-channel guests with SCIM provisioning, allowing them to manage guests more efficiently.
Format your messages with indented lists
When formatting your messages in Slack, you can now indent up to five lines in ordered and bulleted lists. Visit our Help Center to learn how to give your lists a cleaner look.
- Owners and admins using the Analytics API can view daily channel metrics for public channels, allowing them to see how channel activity is trending over time.
- Notification previews on the Slack iOS app have gotten a refresh, making it easier to see who your messages are from and which conversations they’re a part of.
- Owners and admins on the Plus and Enterprise Grid plans can now notify all invited members about any messages in channels where invited members have been added.
- To help keep Slack secure, it’s no longer possible to upload certain file types in channels shared with Slack Connect.
- We’ve made it easier to find workflows you need to manage. You can now search for workflows by title, filter by status (ex. workflows with no collaborators) or date edited, and more.
- Invitations to share channels with Slack Connect now expire after 14 days instead of 7, making it easier for you and your external partners to accept them.
- Org Owners and Org Admins on the Enterprise Grid plan can now control which workspaces in their org can use Slack Connect to share channels with outside organizations.
- When you add someone to a channel using their email address, Slack will now prompt you to invite them to your workspace if they’re not already a member.
New Slack Connect permissions for DMs
Slack Connect for direct messages (DMs) will soon be available, allowing members to exchange DMs with external partners. In advance of this release, owners and admins can enable or disable this feature and adjust new Slack Connect settings and permissions for their workspace or Enterprise Grid organization.
Improvements to top-level desktop app navigation
A new set of operating system-level menus for the Slack desktop app lets you navigate anywhere in Slack using just your keyboard or a few clicks. Open the File menu to create messages or channels and access your workspace settings, or use the Go menu to quickly access conversations, sidebar items, downloaded files, and more. Download the latest version of Slack for Mac, Windows, or Linux to get started.
Slack video calls now available on mobile devices
You can now make video calls with Slack's calling feature from the mobile apps, just like you would on your desktop. Visit our Help Center to learn more about making calls in Slack.
Build more secure Slack apps with Socket Mode
Slack app developers can now build internal Slack apps behind their company’s firewall. With Socket Mode, apps can receive traffic from Slack without exposing public endpoints. Learn more on Slack API.
- Customers using Slack’s paid plans can now create unique email addresses for direct messages (DMs) in addition to channels to easily send emails to any conversation in Slack.
Deprecation policy for Slack app versions, browsers, and operating systems
To ensure we deliver a consistent experience for our customers, we're introducing a new policy for deprecating app versions, browsers and operating systems on a regular schedule.
A centralized place to manage Slack Connect on Enterprise Grid
Org Owners and Org Admins can now access all Slack Connect settings and permissions for their org in one place. Manage the permission to share channels, choose who can send invitations, and more, all from the new Slack Connect section of the org dashboard.
Manage file uploads in Slack Connect
Owners and admins can now choose whether members can upload and share files in conversations with other organizations. Visit our Help Center to learn more.
Slack is available in Italian
Ciao! We’ve added Italian to the list of languages we support. Learn how to update your language preference in Slack.
Easily install apps on Enterprise Grid
You can now install certain apps at the org level and add them to workspaces in your Enterprise Grid organization, right from the admin dashboard. You can also choose to set apps as default so they’re automatically installed when new workspaces are created in your org. Visit the Slack App Directory to see a full list of apps that can be installed at the org level, and learn more about installing them in our Help Center.
- You can now update the Direct Download version of the Slack desktop app from the help icon. When there's an update available, you'll see a badge on the icon to let you know.
- Scheduling meetings with other organizations in Slack Connect just got easier. If you create an event from the Google Calendar or Outlook Calendar app in a channel you’re sharing, you’ll now see the times all participants who’ve connected their calendars are available.
Manage one-click emoji reactions
One-click emoji reactions let you respond to messages in Slack almost instantly — simply hover over a message and choose from three emoji options. Owners and admins can now choose the default options for one-click reactions for their workspace or Enterprise Grid organization.
New preferences for viewing workspace activity on Enterprise Grid
Members in an Enterprise Grid organization can now choose to view activity from all workspaces in their org or just the workspace they’re currently using in the All unreads, Threads, and Mentions & reactions pages in their sidebar.
Automatically approve requests to share channels
Those with permission to manage channels shared with other organizations can now automatically approve requests. For the organizations you specify, future requests to share channels will automatically be allowed without additional admin approval from your organization.
Revoke pending invitations to share channels
Whether an invitation is generated in error, or you simply change your mind, you can now revoke a pending invitation to share a channel with another organization if it hasn’t been accepted yet.
- Owners and admins can now choose if members’ email addresses will be visible in their Slack profiles to only their organization, or to any organizations they’re sharing channels with.
- When you share your screen with Slack calls, you can now choose to share your whole desktop screen or individual application windows.
- In your sidebar, you’ll now see profile images displayed next to direct messages, along with buttons to add channels, apps, and new conversations
Confidently work with verified organizations in channels
Verified organizations in Slack Connect will soon be denoted with a purple check mark. Whenever a member of a verified organization sends or receives an invitation to share a channel, you’ll know you’re connecting to the right company.
Choose who can send and accept invitations to share channels
Invitations to share channels with Slack Connect could previously be sent or accepted by everyone or no one at all, depending on your organization’s settings. Owners and admins can now choose specific people to send and accept invitations to share a channel.
New and improved shortcuts menu on desktop
We’ve added a wide variety of Slack actions — like creating a channel, setting your status, managing notifications, and more — to the shortcuts menu so everything you need is in one handy place. Choose a shortcut from the Suggested section, or search for a specific action. To find and use shortcuts and slash commands for apps installed to your workspace, scroll down to the Browse by app section of the menu.
Prevent members from messaging or calling each other with information barriers
Org Owners on the Enterprise Grid plan can now create information barriers between IDP groups. This prevents specific members from sending direct messages or calling each other in Slack, helping your organization avoid conflicts of interest and safeguard sensitive information.
New Slack analytics metrics and permissions
New metrics for customers on the Standard, Plus, and Enterprise Grid plans provide more detailed insights into how people in your workspace use Slack. View the analytics dashboard to see information about when members were last active, which device they typically use to access Slack, and how many messages they’ve posted. If they’d like, Workspace Owners and Org Owners can choose to disable these metrics for workspaces they manage.
Slack is available in Korean
안녕하세요! We’ve added Korean to the list of languages we support. If you’d like to use Slack in Korean, you can update your language preference in Slack at any time.
Connect Workflow Builder to your everyday tools with steps from apps
Add steps from apps to workflows to easily connect work happening in Slack to the other tools you use every day. Any workflow steps available for apps installed to your workspace will be visible in Workflow Builder, alongside the message and form steps you’re already familiar with. Browse the Slack App Directory to find apps with steps, and check out Add steps to a workflow for more details.
- New Enterprise Key Management (EKM) customers can now choose to create and store their encryption keys in a specific data region with data residency for Slack.
Export a list of channels in your workspace or Enterprise Grid organization
On the Plus and Enterprise Grid plans, owners and admins with permission to use channel management tools can now export a list of channels in a CSV file. The file will include information like the channel name, the number of members and guests in the channel, and the date the channel was created.
New options for exports on Enterprise Grid
Org Owners can now request to export data from all channels and conversations in their Enterprise Grid organization from the org dashboard. Org Owners can also request to export data for all of the conversations a single user has been a part of in JSON or TXT format.
New Workflow Builder permissions for steps from apps
Steps from apps will soon be available in Workflow Builder, allowing members to create workflows that connect with their external tools. In advance of this release, owners and admins can choose to enable or disable this workflow feature for their workspace or Enterprise Grid organization.
Send emails to Slack channels
Customers on Slack’s paid plans can now create a unique email address for any Slack channel, making it easier than ever to bring relevant information from emails into your workspace. Send emails to a channel email address individually, or set up a forwarding rule in your email client to send certain emails into Slack automatically. If they’d like, owners and admins can restrict channel email address creation to certain members of their workspace or Enterprise Grid organization.
Invite people from outside your company to share a channel — now on mobile
Just like on desktop, you can add people from outside your organization to share one of your Slack channels from the mobile apps. To learn how to share channels, visit our Help Center.
EKM support for Slack Connect
Enterprise Key Management (EKM) is now available for channels shared with external organizations. The messages and files sent by members of your organization will now be encrypted using your own keys.
Channel management tools now available on the Plus plan
Workspace Owners and Admins on the Plus plan can now use channel management tools to view a list of public channels in their workspace and take action on them from a central dashboard. The Workspace Primary Owner can also take action on private channels and give owners and admins permission to do the same.
Limit information displayed in mobile notifications on Enterprise Grid
With a mobile passcode required for their Enterprise Grid org, Org Owners can choose to limit the information visible in mobile notification previews, securing information on unmanaged mobile devices. Org Owners can choose to show no message content, sender names only, or all message content in mobile notification previews.
- Any collaborator on a workflow can now view activity to better understand who’s using their workflow and which steps may be causing issues.
- Org Owners and Admins on the Enterprise Grid plan can now reactivate multiple members at once from the org dashboard.
- For customers using Slack in a web browser, we no longer redirect external links through http://slack-redir.net, our redirect service. If you have questions about this change, get in touch with our Support team.
- If you use Slack in Google Chrome, you now have the option to share your screen during a Slack call, as well as decide which window to share.
- A new preference allows you to always join Slack calls with your audio muted. Head to the Advanced section of your preferences to find it.
- Narrow searches in Slack from your desktop with a new set of filters. Click the search field then select Messages, Files, People, or Channels to only see results in that category.
- You’ll now be able to choose from a list of your five most recent custom statuses when setting your Slack status on your desktop or mobile device.
Updates to channel management tools
The Org Primary Owner can now allow Workspace Owners and Admins to use a new set of workspace-level channel management tools for their workspaces. In addition, any Org Owners/Admins and Workspace Owners/Admins with permission to manage channels can now add people to a channel and add or remove a channel from workspaces within their org.
Organize your sidebar more quickly
If you’re using Slack on the Standard, Plus, or Enterprise Grid plan, you can now click Edit sidebar from any sidebar section to rearrange conversations into custom sections all at once, instead of moving them one by one.
New menus for you and your workspace
You’ll now find two separate menus for access to key preferences and settings on Slack for your desktop. From your profile picture in the top right, you’ll find a new menu where you can set your status, manage notifications, and adjust other personal preferences. Click your workspace name in the top left to open an updated menu dedicated to actions and settings for your workspace.
- On the Slack mobile apps, you can now select a recent direct message after tapping the Jump to... field from the Home tab and DMs tab.
- Access all of your direct messages (DMs) from the new All DMs page at the top of your left sidebar from Slack on your desktop. Click on a recent conversation from the list, or search for an older conversation to pick up where you left off.
- You can now view which members are in a channel with a cluster of profile pictures in the top right corner, or click the add people icon to quickly add members to the channel.
- For greater control over your notifications, you can now mute direct messages from apps and bots, the same way you can mute channels and direct messages from members.
Edit message retention settings with channel management tools
On the Enterprise Grid plan, customers can now choose a new retention setting that allows Org Owners and designated Org Admins to change the message retention policy for individual public or private channels from the org dashboard with channel management tools.
Data residency now available in Montreal
With data residency for Slack, organizations can choose the region where certain types of customer data – like messages, files, and posts – are stored at rest. Data residency is now available in Montreal, Canada. See other available regions and learn more about data residency in the Help Center.
- You can now format messages in Workflow Builder with Slack’s automatic formatting, in addition to markup.
- Reading a thread you'd like to come back to later? You can now mark threads as unread, just like with other messages in Slack.
Grant all workspace members access to a calendar app in Slack
Set a custom notification schedule to suit your work week
Create a custom notification schedule to automatically turn Do Not Disturb (DND) on at specific times of day or on certain days of the week, including weekends. Learn how to set your Slack notification schedule from your desktop or your mobile device in our Help Center.
Share a channel with multiple organizations
You can now connect with up to 19 other organizations in the same Slack channel, all from your own workspaces. Sharing a channel allows you to securely communicate with your external partners and vendors in one central place, and get work done in a more productive way.
Require members to use a minimum app version on Enterprise Grid
Org Owners on the Enterprise Grid plan can now require members to use a minimum version of the Slack iOS and Android apps. This feature requires members to update their mobile app to continue using Slack, ensuring that every member of an Enterprise Grid org will have access to Slack’s native security features.
Add an emoji pack in Slack
To quickly add a new set of custom emoji to your workspace, you can now install an emoji pack. An emoji pack provides more customized options for enhancing how your team communicates in Slack, while saving you the time of creating individual custom emoji. The Remote Work pack is available, and we’ll be adding more in the future.
Resize or collapse your sidebar on desktop
We’ve added two new ways to adjust your sidebar size and display. You can click and drag the edge of your left or right sidebar to a different width. To collapse or open your left sidebar, use ⌘ShiftD (Mac) or CtrlShiftD (Windows/Linux).
New channel management tools
Org Primary Owners can now view and manage all public and private channels in an Enterprise Grid org. From the organization dashboard, you can manage posting permissions, rename a channel, archive a channel, and more. If you’d like others to be able to access this dashboard, you can grant Org Owners and Org Admins permission to view and manage channels as well.
EKM support for Workflow Builder
Send messages in conversations more easily
The send button will now appear in the message field for everyone. We’ve also added a new preference that allows you to choose if pressing your Enter key will send a message or start a new line.
Receive mobile notifications when you’re active on desktop
To help you stay on top of updates when switching between Slack on your desktop and mobile devices, you can now receive notifications on both devices at the same time. In your notification preferences, select the option to receive notifications immediately, even if you’re active.
The new Slack experience for mobile
It’s simpler than ever to get work done in the Slack mobile app. We’re releasing a set of improvements to complement the new Slack desktop experience, including a new set of tabs at the bottom of the screen, the compose button, and the ability to search from anywhere. Visit our Help Center to learn more.
Connect identity provider groups to channels
On the Enterprise Grid plan, Org Owners and Org Admins can now connect identity provider (IDP) groups to channels to more easily manage Slack at scale. Members of the IDP group will be automatically added to connected channels, but they can choose to leave the channels if they’d like.
View message activity
Owners and admins on the Plus and Enterprise Grid plans can now see how many people have viewed, reacted to, and shared a message in Slack. Message activity is available for messages posted in public channels with at least 50 members.
Improvements to reminders in Slack
Using the /remind slash command in the message field will now open a form in Slack, where you can set the date, time, and description for your reminder. You can also now use the /remind slash command in threads.
Make calls to phone numbers with third-party apps
You can now make calls to phone numbers directly from Slack with certain third-party apps. Visit our Help Center to learn how to install the calling app of your choice and access it from the phone icon in your workspace.
- You can now jump to a specific point in a conversation from Slack on your desktop by clicking a date marker in a channel or direct message (DM). Select a date range from the menu to view messages from a particular time period, like Last week, or a specific date on the calendar.
- It’s no longer possible to create new legacy test tokens. If you need new tokens to interact with the Slack API, create a Slack app instead.
Take actions more quickly with shortcuts
We’ve made it even easier to take actions in Slack with the shortcuts menu. From any conversation, click the lightning bolt icon to set a reminder, start a call, or create a post or snippet. If apps installed to your workspace include shortcuts, you’ll see them in the menu as well. Learn more about shortcuts in our Help Center.
Data residency now available in Sydney and London
With data residency for Slack, organizations can choose the region where certain types of customer data – like messages, files, and posts – are stored at rest. Data residency is now available in Sydney, Australia and London, United Kingdom. See other available regions and learn more about data residency in the Help Center.
Grant workflow creation permissions to certain members
Owners and admins on the Enterprise Grid plan have more control over workflow creation permissions. In addition to granting permission to all members or only owners and admins, you’ll now see the option to choose specific members and user groups.
Retention settings for shared channels
Retention settings for your workspace or Enterprise Grid org now apply to shared channels. These retention settings will only apply to messages and files sent by members of your organization in shared channels.
Pause your notifications across your workspaces on Enterprise Grid
Managing your notifications on your Enterprise Grid org just got easier. Now when you pause notifications for one workspace, all notifications across your workspaces in the same org will pause too.
- We’ve made it easier to create workflows with a set of customizable templates you can modify to suit your company’s needs. To get started, open Workflow Builder, then click the Templates tab at the top of the screen.
- The Scheduled date & time trigger in Workflow Builder now supports specific times, so you can set workflows to run at any time you want.
- App developers can now submit detailed information about their apps’ security and compliance practices. If available, you can see that info in the Security & Compliance tab on an app’s page in the Slack App Directory.
- You can now upload up to 10 images at a time on the iOS and Android apps.
Quickly switch between calling apps in Slack
Owners and Admins on the Standard, Plus, and Enterprise Grid plans can now allow members to easily switch between calling apps without leaving Slack. Visit our Help Center to learn how to add multiple third-party apps to the dropdown menu when clicking the phone icon.
The new Slack experience for your desktop
We've made it easier to use Slack, tailor it to your work, and get more done. Visit our Help Center to learn more about the changes we've made to the Slack desktop experience, like the new compose button and revamped sidebar.
Invite people to Slack using Google Directory
Skip copying and pasting a list of email addresses to send workspace invitations. If you use G Suite for Business, you can connect your Google Directory to Slack to invite all of your teammates to your workspace. Learn more in our Help Center.
Use Box with Slack
Install the new Box app to securely share and search for Box files, view detailed file previews, and use new slash commands. Plus, Box admins can now configure security settings for Box files in Slack from the Box Admin Console.
New keyboard shortcuts for taking message actions
We’ve added new one-key shortcuts to take different actions on messages when they’re in focus, making it faster to navigate Slack with a screen reader. To bring a message into focus, press F6 before using a one-key keyboard shortcut.
Data residency now available in Tokyo
With data residency for Slack, organizations can choose the region where certain types of customer data – like messages, files, and posts – are stored at rest. Data residency is now available in Tokyo, Japan. See other available regions and learn more about data residency in the Help Center.
- If there are less than 150 members in your workspace, you’ll see options to add all members of your workspace to that channel or set it as a default channel for new members.
- If you use custom objects in Salesforce, you can now configure them to use with the Salesforce app in Slack. For step-by-step instructions, read our configuration guide for Salesforce Admins.
- When requiring members to use a secure mobile browser, Enterprise Grid Org Owners now have more browsers to choose from and the option to configure this setting with Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM).
Add people to channels in bulk — now on mobile
Just like on desktop, you can now add up to 1,000 people to a channel at once from the Slack mobile apps. To learn more, visit our Help Center.
Add hyperlinks to your messages
We’ve added a new way to format your messages! You can now create hyperlinks in your messages when using Slack’s automatic formatting. Visit our Help Center to learn how to give links a cleaner look.
Improved Slack calls on the iOS app
When you receive a Slack call from a direct message on the iOS app, the incoming call will now display in full screen, even when you don’t have the iOS app open.
Two new ways to launch workflows with Workflow Builder
When creating a workflow in Slack, choose Scheduled date & time to launch a workflow automatically at a specific time or on a recurring basis. Or select Webhook to initiate your workflow when Slack receives a request for another service of your choosing.
Keep up with Slack conversations from your email inbox
When you get email notifications from Slack, you can reply to those conversations directly from your inbox. Replies to messages sent by email will post to the appropriate channels and direct messages in your workspace. Continue the conversation there if you’d like, or keep replying by email.
Block jailbroken or rooted devices on Enterprise Grid
Org Owners on the Enterprise Grid plan can now block members from accessing Slack on jailbroken iOS and rooted Android devices. Members will be prevented from signing in to Slack or signed out if a jailbroken or rooted device is detected.
- Download form responses collected in Workflow Builder as a CSV file to view and work with them outside of Slack.
- We've updated the steps Owners and Admins can use to change a member's role.
- We've made it easier to navigate between sections in the channel sidebar using a screen reader.
New Workflow Builder workspace permissions and org policies
Workspace Owners/Admins and Org Owners/Admins can now manage a new set of permissions in advance of new workflow features coming soon. Learn how to manage members’ ability to create workflows using webhooks or download workflow form data as a CSV file in our Help Center.
Set Do Not Disturb while vacationing
On desktop, setting your status to the default Vacationing suggestion now turns on Do Not Disturb, so you don’t have to worry about manually pausing your notifications. You’ll automatically start getting notifications again when you clear your status, or after six weeks.
Remotely sign members out of Slack
In the event that a member’s device gets lost or stolen, Org Owners and Org Admins on the Enterprise Grid plan can now remotely sign members out of Slack to help keep their org secure.
Data residency now available in Paris
With data residency for Slack, organizations can choose the region where certain types of customer data – like messages, files, and posts – are stored at rest. Data residency is now available in Paris, France. See other available regions and learn more about data residency in the Help Center.
Sort your search results on Android
On Android, you can now sort your search results the same way you would on desktop. Start a search, then tap the sort icon beside the number of search results to find your most relevant or newest messages and files faster.
Find and use apps more quickly
We’ve made it easier to find and use apps in the Slack desktop app. Click Apps at the top of the left sidebar to see apps installed to your workspace, search for new apps, and open apps you’ve used recently.
Make outbound calls with Zoom Phone
Anyone using the Zoom app for Slack with a Zoom Phone plan can now make calls to phone numbers directly from Slack. To get started, open the Zoom app in Slack and use the /zoom call slash command in a channel or direct message.
Send shared channel requests to a channel
To help centralize shared channel requests, Owners and Admins can send all requests to a specific channel in their workspace or org. This will allow members with permission to manage shared channels approve requests in one place.
Improved ways to add user groups to channels
On desktop, it’s now easier to add user groups to channels. Just like with adding individual members to channels, you can copy and paste user group names into the channel invite field, or start typing user group names to select them.
Data residency for Slack
With data residency for Slack, organizations can choose the region where certain types of customer data – like messages, files, and posts – are stored at rest. The first data storage region available outside of the United States is Frankfurt, Germany.
New ways to format your messages
We’ve added new ways to format your messages on desktop and mobile devices. With automatic formatting, you can see exactly what your messages look like before you send them. If you prefer to use markup instead, we’ve also added the option to adjust your formatting preference. Visit our Help Center to learn more.
- You can now add emoji reactions to messages directly from your Activity.
- If you change your mind shortly after clearing all your unread messages, you have a few seconds to undo this action. Click the Undo button that appears near the bottom of the channel or direct message.
Manage apps on Enterprise Grid
Org Owners on Enterprise Grid can now approve or restrict apps and enable an app management policy for every workspace in their org. By setting an app management policy, you ensure that all apps installed to your org are approved by a Workspace Owner or app manager.
An improved way to create shared channels
You can now create a shared channel by copying and pasting an invitation link and sending it to a member of another workspace using any communication platform you prefer. Any member can accept the invitation, but an Owner or Admin of both workspaces must approve the request before the channel is connected.
Centralize invitation requests on Enterprise Grid
Whitelist org domains on Enterprise Grid
Org Owners and Org Admins on Enterprise Grid can now whitelist an org domain with Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM). This will ensure that users can only access authorized workspaces on their device.
Add people to channels in bulk on desktop
We’ve made it easier to add large groups of people to channels. It’s now possible to add up to 1,000 people to a channel at once, instead of adding them one at a time. Visit our Help Center to learn more.
- Using the Discovery API, Org Owners on Enterprise Grid can now search for specific users’ conversations rather than building a full archive.
- Install or open the Outlook Calendar app for Slack and click the new Home tab to see your schedule and manage your calendar.
- On desktop, when you start a call in a channel with more than 100 members, Slack will confirm this is the action you want to make before the call starts.
Mute direct messages
You can now mute direct messages the same way you mute channels for greater control of your notifications.
Understand app permissions more easily
We’ve made it easier to see what information an app can access when you install or approve an app for your Slack workspace.
Improved channel-specific notification settings
To help you set channel-specific notifications, we’ve changed the way these preferences look. You’ll now see your existing preferences as soon as you click the gear icon, and you can set new preferences without leaving the channel view.
New app permissions model
We’ve released a new way for app developers to manage information their apps access in Slack. Developers interested in adopting our new granular permissions model can get access to the open beta on Slack API. Workspace Admins and app managers may see requests to re-approve apps installed to their workspace if their scopes change. Learn more on the Slack blog
Automate everyday tasks in Slack with Workflow Builder
Workflow Builder offers a simple set of tools anyone can use to automate routine processes — no coding required. Create a workflow to collect information, share it with the right people, and move work along without leaving Slack. Check out our example workflows, or visit the Help Center to learn more.
- When migrating workspaces to your Enterprise Grid org, members can now continue using workspaces in the org while direct messages (DMs) are being migrated. The workspaces will still be temporarily unavailable while channels are being migrated.
- Notifications now clear individually from the Android Notification Shade or lock screen, and only after you’ve read the associated messages.
- Enterprise Grid Org Owners can now require members to use a secure mobile browser when signing in with single sign-on (SSO) or opening external links in the Slack mobile apps.
- Manage your Google Calendar more effectively with the updated Google Calendar app for Slack. Install or open the app, then visit the new Home tab to see your schedule, respond to invites, and more.
- We've restored the ability to switch to workspaces outside of your organization on the desktop app. Click the search bar at the top and start typing the name of any workspace you want to stay signed in to.
- Workspace Owners and Admins on the Standard and Plus plans can now edit usernames in the same way they can edit emails, full names, and display names.
- Install the new Salesforce app for Slack to connect Slack with Service Cloud or Sales Cloud, send Salesforce alerts for record or object updates to channels, attach Slack messages to records in Salesforce, and more.
- The default image for members without a profile photo has changed. Take a look below, and learn how to upload a profile photo.
It's official: shared channels are here
With shared channels, Slack offers a better way to work with people outside your company. They work just like normal channels, only they connect two separate organizations together, bringing the right people into the same place, no matter where they work. Read our blog post and visit our Help Center to learn more.
Dark mode comes to desktop
Slack just got a darker look! Dark mode on desktop has arrived, making it possible to switch to a darker color theme. You can now ease your eyes across all the devices you use Slack on — not just our mobile apps. Learn how to use dark mode.
A new way for members to request invitations
Workspace members (but not guests) can now request invitations for others directly in Slack. Workspace Owners and Admins can approve or deny requests in a dedicated Slack channel or via a Slackbot message.
- You can now search for people in your workspace by the email address listed in their Slack profile.
- On the iOS app, use the new three horizontal lines icon to access your channels and direct messages in the sidebar list.
- On Android 9 or higher, a message reply you start writing from the phone’s Notification Shade will be saved in the mobile app.
- After a bug fix, notifications on the iOS app now clear individually, and only after you’ve read the associated messages.
Simplified channel naming
Help your team's work in Slack stay organized with channel prefixes. Members can now choose from a set of standard prefixes when creating or renaming channels. Plus, Workspace Owners and Admins can add or delete prefixes to suit their teams' needs. Learn more in the Help Center.
Easier app management for Enterprise Grid orgs
Changes to Transport Layer Security (TLS) in Slack
On February 19, 2020, Slack will discontinue support for TLS versions 1.0 and 1.1 to align with industry best practices for security and data integrity. After this date, requests sent to Slack from any service that hasn't been upgraded to TLS 1.2 will fail. We'll be contacting all customers who are affected by this change, which you can read more about in our Help Center.
A new and improved way to disconnect shared channels
When a project ends or a channel is no longer needed, Owners and Admins can stop sharing it with an external organization without disrupting members from collaborating in other shared channels and direct messages. If two organizations no longer need to work together, Owners and Admins can stop sharing all channels to break their connection.
Introducing longer channel names
To allow for more channel naming flexibility, we’ve extended the character limit from 21 to 80. Learn more about creating channels.
Search for people in Slack
Ever needed to find the right person to talk to, but weren’t sure where to start? Now you can search for people you work with by name, title, profile information, or things they discuss in Slack. Learn more about search and the best way to find the information you need.
- Org Owners on Enterprise Grid can choose the email address that members see if they try to create a new workspace using a claimed domain.
- Now, when you tap and hold a message on iOS or Android, you can start or reply to a thread from the menu. You’ll also see your top five most frequently used emoji reactions.
- When you’re working in a shared channel, you’ll see the external organization’s name just above the message field.
Secondary authentication now available for Enterprise Grid orgs
Get an extra layer of security with Slack’s latest addition to mobile security for Enterprise Grid. Org Owners and Admins can now require members to use a secondary form of authentication — a passcode, fingerprint, or facial scan — when accessing Slack on mobile devices. Learn more.
Changes to SSO setup permissions for Enterprise Grid
On Enterprise Grid orgs, only Workspace Owners and Org Owners have the ability to set up single sign-on (SSO). Workspace Admins and Org Admins no longer have this permission.
Formatting posts made easy
Create and edit posts more smoothly with faster loading times and updated formatting options for a more polished look and feel. Please note that the ability to create public posts (to share outside of your workspace) is no longer available.
Onboard new teammates more efficiently
When you invite a new person to Slack, you can immediately start working with them. Add invited members to channels, @mention them in messages, or send a direct message. Read more about how this works.
Upload custom emoji from Slack and search by creator
Add custom emoji directly from the Slack desktop app by clicking the smiley face icon in the message field, then the Add Emoji button. Plus, visit your workspace's Customize page to search for all the emoji you or another member have created.
Sync your Slack status with Google Calendar
Let your team know when you're in a meeting by automatically updating your Slack status based on calendar events — without leaving Slack. If you already use the Google Calendar app for Slack, tell your team about this new feature. If not, install the Google Calendar app to get started.
Limit who can post in channel
We’ve made it easier to keep large announcement channels on topic and free from distraction by giving you better control over who can post in channel. Learn more.
A smoother, faster Slack experience
The latest version of our desktop app provides a smoother, faster experience for all. Some notable changes include faster loading times, better overall performance and the ability to work offline. Download the latest version of our desktop app.
- Limited offline support — set your status, star items, and react to messages when you don’t have an internet connection
- Less memory usage, better performance
- Faster loading times
Improved Slack calls
Other notable updates
- Click the new paper clip icon in the message field to add attachments
- A redesigned autocomplete menu for @mentions and slash commands
- No more loading messages — Slack loads too quickly for them to be readable
- Visual improvements to the activity view, Quick Switcher, and channel sidebar
- Unread message activity displays as a dot on the top-right of your workspace icon
- Member profiles have a bigger profile image and include the option to message or call the individual
- Drafts sync across Enterprise Grid workspaces
- We’ve added back and forward buttons next to the Jump to section in the sidebar allowing you to navigate through your channel history with ease.
- Slack calls have a new look! Our new interface makes it easy to see who’s joined meetings and when they started.
Whitelist specific Slack workspaces
IT admins can now limit connections to an entire Slack org or to a list of external workspaces. This allows them to prevent people on their network from signing in to non-whitelisted workspaces. Learn more.
Shared channels beta available on Enterprise Grid
On Enterprise Grid, you can start collaborating with external organizations, just like you would with teams in your own org. If you're an Org Owner or Admin, learn how to use shared channels and manage settings and permissions.
Internal shared channels are now multi-workspace channels
Channels that connect separate workspaces within a single Enterprise Grid organization are now called multi-workspace channels.
Improved app administration
Admins of workspaces with Approved Apps enabled will now be prompted to review any apps requesting new permissions, even if they were previously approved.
Compact layout for images and files
Good news! Now you can add up to 10 images and files at once in Slack. As an added bonus, multi-file uploads will appear in a nice, neat grid for your viewing pleasure. ✨
Keep track of draft messages
Pick up where you left off, with drafts in Slack. If you have any unfinished or unsent messages, you’ll see a list of the related channels or DMs under the Drafts heading at the top of your sidebar.
Easier custom emoji management
We’ve made it easier for Admins to manage custom emoji by adding two new ways to sort them — by name and by date added. Head to your workspace’s Customize page to check it out! 🎉
Slack is available in three new languages
We’ve added Brazilian Portuguese, Latin American Spanish, and UK English to the list of languages we support! Simply update your language preference to use Slack however it’s most comfortable for you.
More pleasant app management
Now, if a member who installs any of the 20+ Slack-built apps leaves your company, these apps will remain active instead of deactivating unexpectedly. More apps will be added to this list, so keep an eye on our Help Center for the latest.
Office 365 apps for Slack
Update your Slack status based on your calendar, respond to meeting invites, send emails into Slack, and more with the new Office 365 apps for Slack. Get the apps to connect Slack with the O365 tools you use every day.
Gmail add-on for Slack
Facilitate collaboration between teammates and make relevant information visible to all stakeholders by sending emails to Slack channels and DMs directly from Gmail. Install the add-on to get started.
Channels now appear in search
Search results now include a new tab dedicated to channels, making it easier to discover new channels across your workspace(s). Find key conversations and files, and the channels where they live.
Introducing Slack Enterprise Key Management (Slack EKM)
Security-conscious and regulated organizations can now manage their own encryption keys. Learn more about Slack EKM, a new security add-on for the Enterprise Grid plan.
Mobile Security updates for Enterprise Grid
In addition to file downloads, Org Owners can also block members from copying content to unmanaged mobile devices. Learn more about Mobile Security for Enterprise Grid orgs.
Updates to our supported browsers and operating systems
To focus on delivering the best Slack experience possible, we’ve updated the minimum requirements for our supported browsers and operating systems. Read more about the minimum requirements for using Slack.
Dark mode for mobile
Dark Mode has arrived for Slack’s iOS and Android apps. Ease your eyes by switching to a darker color theme for reading and writing — especially in low-light settings. Learn more.
A smoother sign in experience for desktop
When you sign in to the Slack desktop app, you’ll be asked to authenticate from your browser. This allows you to use password managers or other two-factor authentication hardware to easily access your account. If you're already signed in to Slack on your browser, you’ll be automatically signed in to the desktop app.
Refreshed emoji reactions
Microsoft Office file previews
If you share Office files in Slack, we’ve got exciting news: you can see a full preview of Powerpoint, Word, and Excel documents right from your workspace, no download required! Upload an Office file to give it a try.
- From the Slack Platform, introducing Scheduled Messages. Read the Slack Platform Blog for more, and see our Slack API documentation.
- Also from the Slack Platform, legacy tester tokens will start to automatically expire if they haven’t been used in over three months.
Build with Block Kit
Create or update custom apps with Block Kit — a UI framework that makes it easier to build powerful, intuitive apps for Slack. Check out the Slack Platform Blog for more.
Say hello to Slack Tips
Browse the Slack Tips library for step-by-step guides that can help you get the most out of Slack.
Note: Slack Tips are currently only available in English.
Improved import speed and performance
If you're importing data to Slack from Hipchat, Stride, a CSV file, or another workspace, you'll notice a faster, more seamless experience.
Mobile security features for Enterprise Grid orgs
On an Enterprise Grid org, Owners and Admins can protect their organization’s data by blocking file downloads to unauthorized devices. This feature does not require set up with an Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) provider. Learn more.
Fewer unexpected app removals, less disruption
Deactivated member accounts used to result in the unexpected removal of any apps they installed. We’ve made it harder for these kinds of surprises to happen: app features like bot users, commands, actions, or incoming webhooks will remain active, even if the installing member is deactivated. With fewer disruptions, your workspace can keep humming along. Learn more.
Two Google Calendar apps to choose from
Our Slack App Directory now offers two Google Calendar apps. Designed for personal use, Google Calendar helps you keep track of your work schedule. For teams that collaborate together, Google Calendar for Team Events brings a shared calendar into Slack. Learn more about connecting Google Calendar to Slack.
Introducing our new logo
We've given our logo a fresh coat of paint! Read all about why we refreshed our look.
Improved import flow for merging workspaces
If you're merging two workspaces together, we've made it easier to combine matching members and channels. Read more about importing data from one workspace to another.
Workspace migration approvals
To streamline the migration process, Org Owners can now approve or decline all upcoming migrations from the Admin Dashboard. Read more about moving workspaces to an Enterprise Grid org.
New subdomains for reliability
As part of our commitment to reliability, we’ve added new subdomains that will be rolling out slowly over the next few weeks. If your organization whitelists specific subdomains, learn more about managing connection issues.
Compressed file uploads on mobile
To improve the experience of uploading files to Slack on iOS and Android devices, the size of JPG files are automatically compressed.
Get updates on Slack's availability
Access and share your OneDrive files from Slack
If you use Microsoft’s OneDrive to host and manage your files, sharing them to Slack just got easier. Using the plus icon next to the message field, add a file from OneDrive without ever leaving your workspace.
More options for Do Not Disturb
Now you can pause your notifications with Do Not Disturb (DND) for as long as you’d like. Choose a preset option, or enter a custom time frame of your choosing. Although you won’t get alerted while in DND, all of your notifications will be waiting for you when you return. You won’t miss a beat! 🎵
Import Stride data to Slack
Back in July, Slack and Atlassian announced a new partnership. We're excited to share, in addition to Hipchat, you can import your company's Stride data to Slack. Get started!
Sign in more easily from mobile
Now it's much easier to sign in to your Slack workspace on mobile. Enter your email address when signing in, and select the workspaces you want to launch in your mobile app.
Improved mobile in-app notifications
Never miss an important update or conversation again. With in-app notifications for direct message and @mentions, you'll now receive notifications even when you're in the mobile app.
Grouped notifications for iOS 12
If you’re using iOS 12, you’ll notice some nifty updates to your Slack notifications. They’re now grouped together by channel or direct message (DM) in the Notification Center, making it easier to catch up while on the go.📱
See new replies to threads
Keeping up with threads just got a bit easier. When someone replies to a thread (and sends that message to the entire channel), you'll now see when additional replies are added. Learn more about threads.
Set your status, and forget it!
The next time you set a status, choose exactly how long it will display: once it expires, it will automatically clear. Read more about setting a status in Slack.
Slack demo: see where and how work happens
As your collaboration hub, Slack brings your team and your tools together. Visit slackdemo.com to see exactly how it works!
Fresh updates to help you manage custom emoji
When you create a custom emoji, we’ll now automatically resize the image file for you. You can also replace or edit emoji your teammates have added — simply search for them by name!
Reply to Google Drive comments in Slack
If you use Slack with Google Drive, we've got exciting news: you can now reply directly to comments on all your Drive files without leaving Slack. Visit our Help Center to learn more, and check out our blog post too.
Message actions for apps now on mobile
Kick off the next step in your work, even when you're on the go! Some apps come with built-in shortcuts called actions: they help you quickly move work from Slack messages to a connected app. Learn more about using actions on mobile.
Atlassian + Slack
We've forged an exciting new partnership with Atlassian — we’re officially welcoming Hipchat and Stride users to the Slack family! Hipchat users can start moving to Slack today: simply export your data from Atlassian, then use Slack’s import tool to choose which users, rooms, and messages to bring into your Slack workspace. Learn more about importing Hipchat data to Slack and check out our Slack Guide for Hipchat users.
The ability to export Stride data to Slack is coming soon! Stay tuned. 📻
Threads support files—and files support threads
Images and files can be uploaded directly to threads by adding files as you normally would. And instead of posting to the bottom of the channel, replies to files will stay neatly nested in a thread — just like message threads.
View Enterprise Grid migrations in progress 🍿
Moving workspaces over to an Enterprise Grid organization? Stay in the loop by monitoring the migration's progress.
Search in Slack has a new look
Finding your files and messages is easier than ever. See your search in a full-screen window with clickable filter options to sort results by people, conversations, date, and more. And all the search modifiers you already know still work! Learn how to search in Slack.
- You have the option to add a send button to your message field, allowing you to use the Enter key to create a new line of text.
- Refine data exports by selecting the date range you're most interested in.
- We've made updates to the Audit Log API that gives Enterprise Grid customers more insight into access events related to app activity, like who requested or approved an app for a workspace.
- New security features: Build more secure apps with Request Signing & Mutual TLS.
Update to Slack for Desktop 3.2.0
The latest Slack desktop app is here! Get ready for fewer pesky unread badges, better calls, quicker switching for Enterprise Grid — and even more. Read the release notes for a full list of what's changed.
Create links to guide people to a member's profile
With our API, create links (or deeplinks) and share them in your employee directory, email signatures, or company newsletters! Learn how.
Troubleshoot mobile notifications from the app
We’ve built a new tool for troubleshooting and fixing mobile notification issues. Find it under the Notifications section in your mobile Slack app's Settings.
- Your channel list on iOS now more closely matches your Desktop sidebar.
- You may see channel names briefly appear as grey bars when launching Slack — don't be alarmed, this helps Slack load faster for large workspaces.
- When navigating Slack by keyboard, pressing F6 will focus on a single message, rather than the whole message window.
- You can use familiar keyboard shortcuts to format your messages.
Message actions for apps
Turn your conversations into action: create a task, comment, or follow-up from any Slack message. Message actions for apps make it quick and simple to kick off the next step in your work, so nothing gets lost as you go about your day. See how they work!
IRC and XMPP gateways are now closed
Gateways can no longer support all of Slack’s features, so we’ve made the decision to close them. If you’ve been using gateways for accessibility reasons, you can continue to navigate Slack by keyboard and with a screen reader, and use VoiceOver (Mac) and Narrator (Windows) to read your messages.
Updates from our Platform and App Directory
- Receive a courtesy confirmation before deactivating an app on your entire workspace. You can even transfer apps from deactivated members to new owners.
- Introducing workspace apps: installed at the workspace level, they’re built for the way your team works, offering more flexibility and improved app management.
- We’ve updated our two Microsoft Installer (MSI) packages for installing Slack for Windows on thousands of machines.
- We now support international characters for keyword notifications.
- We automatically translate preset Slack status suggestions to the locale of each member.
- New image viewer enhancements let you zoom in or pan out on images shared in Slack.
Workspace Directory redesign
Searching for workspaces to join on an Enterprise Grid org just got a lot easier. Find out where your teammates are working by searching their name or email address.
- We've added new ways to interact with app dialogs. For instance, you'll find new menu types that allow you to select members, channels, or conversations. Visit Slack API for more.
Manage apps on Enterprise Grid
The Admin Dashboard lets you manage apps installed across the org. Easily review an app's permissions or uninstall from a central location.
The Quick Switcher got a makeover. It's quicker and sleeker. And now it helps you switch between channels in other workspaces if you're on the Enterprise Grid plan. See how it works!
Audit logs on Enterprise Grid
Admins can delete private channels
Workspace Owners and Admins can delete public and private channels that they have been invited to join. Simply follow the same steps to delete a channel.
Customize your Terms of Service on Enterprise Grid
If you’ve set ground rules for your employees to use Slack, now you can make them visible when members sign in. Learn how to create a custom Terms of Service for all of your members and guests.
Retention settings with clearer descriptions
The design and language used to describe workspace message retention settings now give you a better understanding of the choices available. Read how to customize message and file retention policies.
Suggestions to archive idle channels
To help you increase focus and decrease clutter in your channel sidebar, Slackbot will periodically suggest channels you may want to archive. They're just suggestions, so take 'em or leave 'em!
Updates to emoji in Slack 🆕
- Slack has updated its emoji set. Slack now offers Emoji 5.0, which includes the latest additions to Unicode 10.0.
- Your emoji style may change. The emoji you see in Slack are based on your device’s operating system. Use a screen reader? Convert emoji to plain text.
- Emoji names are translated. The names for emoji have been translated into Slack’s current languages: French, German, Japanese, and Spanish.
- To make it easier for members to find and join workspaces on your Enterprise Grid organization, we've made the default workspace access preference By Request. Learn how to manage workspace access.
- On Enterprise Grid organizations, members no longer see Guests and bots that exist on workspaces they haven't yet joined in the Org Directory and Quick Switcher.
- We've made some behind-the-scenes enhancements so search works even faster. ⚡️
Apple Watch users: one iOS app for all your needs
Everything you could do with the standalone Watch app is now done through the iOS app: rest assured, receiving and replying to messages from your wrist works the same as before. It’s like two for the price of one, but with apps.
New channel sidebar preference for Slack Enterprise Grid
Group all of the channels shared across your Enterprise Grid organization in your sidebar under the header Organization Channels. To adjust, open Preferences, click Sidebar, then head to the options under Sorting and grouping.
Find stuff faster with improved search suggestions
Click the search bar to see your recent searches, or type a search term and Slack will show you related channels, members, and file matches. Just select a suggestion to quickly jump to the item!
Default channels for Slack Enterprise Grid
It’s even easier to get your members on the same page — and in the same channels! Org Admins can automatically add every member (excluding guests) to channels shared across your entire organization. Create a default channel.
Private shared channels (beta)
Create both private and public shared channels to communicate with vendors, agencies, or clients in Slack. Each party can choose the level of privacy for a shared channel on their workspace.
New and improved shared channel management
A central, convenient place to view all of the external workspaces yours is connected to. Or, easily create, view, and stop sharing any (or all) shared channels. Click here for details!
See emoji as you type 👍
Emoji codes (like :thumbsup:) convert into the actual emoji as soon as you type them out in your message. Voila!
Ding! Desktop 3.0.0 is ready ⏲
The latest Slack desktop app is fully baked! This version loads faster and uses less memory. Sweet, right? Read the release notes for a full list of what's changed.
Better shared channel management
Now Workspace Owners and Admins can cancel, decline, or accept pending shared channel invitations. To access, click Channels in the channel sidebar to browse all channels, then choose Show all shared channels (beta).
The Slack app is available in Japanese! 🌸
If paying for Slack by credit card isn’t ideal, the option to pay by invoice is available for eligible workspaces. Read more about how it works.
Helpful loading messages from Slack
Sometimes Slack needs a bit of time to load. If you’re like us, productivity is paramount. So, turn on helpful tips while you wait!
Share control of your screen During any Slack call, share control of your screen to co-edit documents on the spot. Or simply let others click, draw, and navigate!
The latest Slack Enterprise Grid updates and features:
- Remove access to shared channels. Did you share a channel with too many workspaces in your Enterprise Grid organization? Well, good news! Now you can remove workspaces from a shared channel. Learn how!
- Invite onlyworkspaces. Members can see invite only workspaces exist, but they'll need an invitation to join. Manage workspace discovery and access.
Redesigned search. Smarter, faster results.
Try the new All view to see search results that are most relevant to you: messages, files, and people included! Learn more about sorting through search results in Slack.
Communicate with any organization in Slack with shared channels
Shared channels (beta) are a new type of channel that connects two workspaces, creating a common space for both organizations to work together, with the benefit of using Slack’s communication features and platform integrations.
👉🏽 Admins, sound interesting? Join our shared channels beta!
Display names and @mentions
Now that the Slack app is available in other languages, display names (formerly called usernames) can support spaces, capitalization, and non-Latin characters. To get someone's attention, type the @ symbol, then simply select a name from the list. Change your display name or dig into @mentions for more.
The Slack app is available in multiple languages!
English, German, French, Spanish — what’s your fancy? Simply select the language you prefer to see throughout the app. (Admins! You can set the default language of an entire workspace.)
Forward your emails to Slack
Do you have important information saved in your email inbox? Send those emails to yourself in Slack to keep everything in one place! Learn how to set up a forwarding address.
More insightful channel details
New to a channel or want to know more? Channel highlights provide a high-level overview of anything you've missed. Read all about ‘em!
Enterprise mobile security
Enterprise Grid admins can integrate Slack with their mobile security provider for additional control over which devices can access Slack. See how it works!
Control guest invitation permissions for Enterprise
Now only members with permission can invite guests to workspaces that are connected to Enterprise Grid organizations. Click to read more.
Better insights about your team
Slack’s improved analytics give a better picture of how members use Slack and the tools and services connected to your workspace. Read more to see how your team is doing.
Keyboard accessibility in Slack
Rely on your keyboard to get around? We have shortcuts to help you navigate from one area in Slack — like links, buttons, and message input fields — to another. Click to find all of our accessibility shortcuts (and say 👋 goodbye to your mouse)!
Single sign-on test mode for Enterprise
Test mode is now available on both the Plus plan and Slack Enterprise Grid — go ahead, test SAML single sign-on configurations safely (and make adjustments!) before putting those changes into effect. Sound interesting? Read all about it.
Change Google Drive file permissions from Slack
If you share a file in Slack that doesn’t give other people access — either to view, edit, or leave comments — We'll check whether you want to change the file’s permissions. Read on for more about Google Drive for Slack.
- The Slack app can now be found in the G Suite Marketplace! When you add Slack to your Google apps, Google Drive connects automatically.👌
Discover and add apps to get things done
We’ve made it easier to discover the apps your team is already using in Slack. Find the Apps section in your channel sidebar to browse and manage apps, or jump right into Slack’s App Directory. Learn more about adding apps to your team.
Use highlights to focus on the important things
We’ll summarize what’s important to you in your all unreads view and highlight key messages in channels. You’ll spend less time reading and more time getting things done. Want to learn more?
Sync info stored in your identity provider to your members' profiles
People at your company can view consistent and clear information — like job title or phone number — right from within their teammate’s profile in Slack. And there are other benefits, too. Read more!
We’ve streamlined your notification preferences
Access all your notification preferences — across channels and devices — right from the Slack desktop app. Dive into desktop notifications in our Help Center.✨
Hide join and leave messages
Join and leave messages can be useful, but as your team grows they may be getting in the way of real work. If you'd like, now you can turn them off. Manage your team's preferences.
¡Hola! We launched our Spanish Help Center
Slack's Help Center is now available in Spanish. Switch to the Spanish Help Center!
- Admins can now customize their team's set of suggested statuses, to better reflect the ones your team use most often.
- If you’re using Slack’s desktop app, channel archives will open in the app rather than redirecting you out of the app to a web browser.
- And finally, the limited edition Brené Brown loading message collection was just that (it was both limited edition, and a loading message collection) and, as such, is no longer available for new teams. Don't worry: If you have it enabled now, it's not going anywhere. We’ll have something just as special to come — and you can, as ever, add your own.
Preview GDrive files in channel
Links to GDrive files — whether docs, spreadsheets, or slideshows — expand in channel, giving a clearer (and more useful) glimpse of what's inside. Read our blog post for more.
Share your screen directly from Slack
From a Slack call, press the share screen icon to present all of your hard work to teammates. Learn more about making calls (and sharing your screen)!
Relevant conversations and channels
To help you find answers to questions faster, we highlight specific people and channels that are most relevant to what you’re searching for. See how it works!
Set a deactivation time for Guest accounts
Manage Guest accounts on your team efficiently with more control over how long they’ll have access to your team. Learn more.
Better mobile message input
On iOS and Android devices, we’ve made sending messages and sharing files and photos easier when you’re on the move.
Better guest management on Enterprise Grid
On Slack Enterprise Grid, Guests can be converted to regular members through the Admin Dashboard. Learn more.
Updates to our set of supported browser and operating systems
To deliver a better experience in Slack we’ve focused our efforts on a smaller set of supported browsers and operating systems. Learn more.
Add a custom status
Whether you’re going on vacation or working remotely, let your teammates know what you’re up to. 🌴 Pop over to the Help Center article for the details.
こんにちは! Introducing the Japanese Help Center
Slack’s Help Center is available in Japanese! Switch to the Japanese Help Center.
Interactive message menus in apps
Building an app for Slack? Along with buttons, apps can include drop-down menus offering members a list of options to choose from. Learn more.
We've added international billing currencies
In addition to US Dollars, Slack pricing is offered in British Pound, Euro, and Japanese Yen. Learn more.
Share files from your Google Team Drive
For teams using the Google Drive app, share, expand, search, and preview files shared from your Team Drive in Slack. Learn more.
At Slack, safety and security is paramount. We’ve added an extra layer of protection to identify potentially unsafe websites or malicious links. Learn more.
Request a new workspace on Enterprise Grid
With the preference turned on, members on Enterprise Grid can easily request to add a new workspace to your organization. Learn more.
Move channels between teams
Move channels between any team or workspace connected to a Slack Enterprise Grid org. Learn more.
International channel names
Channel names can now include a much broader set of characters and accents. Any #fans-of-crème-brûlée out there?
Hallo, German Help Center
Slack’s Help Center is now available in German with additional languages to follow. Switch to the German Help Center. 🇩🇪
We've improved support for teams interested in building internal integrations using our APIs. Learn more.
Manage team discovery and access
We've improved support for teams interested in building internal integrations using our APIs. Learn more.
Test mode for SSO configuration
Setting up single sign-on has never been easier. Test your configuration safely and make adjustments before putting changes into effect. Learn more.
Inline WebM videos
Give it a try! Share any .webm file in Slack and it watch it magically play inline. 🎬
DLP and eDiscovery support
Slack Enterprise Grid customers in regulated industries can benefit from our DLP and eDiscovery support to become HIPAA and FINRA compliant. Learn more.
Bonjour, French Help Center
Slack’s Help Center is now available in French with additional languages to follow. Switch to the French Help Center.
Slack Enterprise Grid customers can claim or whitelist their company's additional domains to help reduce the number of unsanctioned teams outside of the organization. Learn more.
Message threads! We launched ‘em.
Keep conversations in your team’s channels clean and tidy with threaded messages. Visit our Help Center to learn more.
UI zoom and channel details pane refresh
We’ve improved the way Slack looks when zoomed in at higher levels. Along with updates to the channel details pane design, these design improvements will make messages in Slack easier to read. 🐻
Slack app available in the Windows Store
Download the Slack app right from the Windows Store. Featuring live tile notifications and better integration with Microsoft’s IT management tools for enterprises.